Matches 1 to 50 of 6,911

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 139» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I23163)
2 1 NAME Jane Coningsby //
2 SOUR S69226

3rd Daughter

Is this the Jane refered to in the following note in the Baddesley Clinton file from Barry Watson, RJCW ref 129:-

6th. July 1607
Draft letter from Andrew Archer to Sir Henry Townsend 'his loving uncle' refereing to summons to Warwick to the Kings' service 'about the late riotous diggers down of enclosed grounds' refers to problem about mothers joinure of Little Hereford. This letter was drafted on blank paper of earlier letter dated 9th. Mar. 1543/4 from Jane Coningsby of Slattercott 'to good cosin Archer' asking him to visit as she needs advice.
Coningsby, Jane (I27513)
3 After viewing the tape AnnaMay gave me, she took photos of Oscar J. Hougham's grave, his wife's grave Mary Leona Miller, Ethelene's grave who was buried right next to them, and 2 other children of Oscar and Mary Leona. I didn't have thier names before. The other 2 children's names are: Cleta Infant daughter of O.J. & M.L. Hougham November 1, 1916 Hougham, Cleta (I19039)
4 Carrie Francis Brown, only daughter of Sarah Katherine and Washington Francis was born in Penn Twp., Nov 17th 1872.
She attended the Dexter Normal School and State Teachers College at Cedar Falls, from which she received her degree. Later she taught in the rural schools in Dallas County and Penn Twp.
She was married to Milo E. Brown on December 23rd 1895, and moved with him to the Brown farm north east of Earlham.
To them were born three children, James, Pauline, and Louise. Her son James preceded her in death.
Mrs. Brown was a member of the 1st Presbyterian Church of Earlham, where she was an active worker throughout her life. One of her most outstanding qualities was her devotion to her family, her friends and her church. She was keenly interested in local, national and world affairs and spent much of her leisure time studying them.
In Sept. 1948, she suffered a Cerebral Thrombosis and was hospitalized for several weeks. She spent the winter months with her daughter in Detroit MI, returning to her home in June. While very frail, she engaged her last month visiting with her friends and working in her garden.
On Tuesday morning, July 21st, she suffered another stroke and passed away almost immediately.
Surviving her is her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Donald B. Hardin of Earlham and Mrs. Joseph V. McQuillen of Grosse Point Farms, MI, a daughter-in-law, Mrs. James F. Brown of Earlham and six grandchildren.
Funeral services were conducted from the Presbyterian Church Saturday afternoon by the pastor, Rev. S. R. Overholser. The body was laid to rest in the Earlham Cemetery. 
Francis, Carrie (I10631)
5 DeWitt GenWeb Project DeWitt County, IL

Portrait and Biographical Album of DeWitt and Piatt Counties, Illinois.
Chicago: Chapman Brothers Publishing Company, 1891.


John A. Harrold, a native of DeWitt County, and a son of one of its well-known pioneer families, is a prominent farmer and extensive landholder, while his activity, large enterprise and business tact have been potent in advancing the agricultural interests of the community. He has a large and finely equipped farm in Wapella Township, where he is paying particular attention to breeding full-blooded Poland-China hogs, having one of the finest droves in Illinois.

Mr. Harrold was born June 15, 1850, on his father's homestead on section 32, Wapella Township, where he now resides. He is a son of Jonathan Harrold, a native of North Carolina, and the son of another Jonathan Harrold, who was of Virginia birth. William Harrold, the father of the latter, was also a native of the Old Dominion. His father came to America from England in early Colonial times with two brothers, who finally became separated and it is not now known what became of them or their descendants. The great-great-grandfather of our subject spent his last years in Virginia as a farmer, while his great-grandfather lived in Virginia until he was seventy years old and then passed his remaining days in Henry County, Ind. He made a visit to DeWitt County prior to his death, which occurred when he was more than eighty years old. He was a devout Quaker in religion and a sturdy Whig in politics. The grandfather of our subject was thirty-five years old when he left Virginia and settled in Wayne County, Ind., where he resided until 1833. In that year he came to DeWitt County with a team and wagon and settled near Waynesville. He thus became a pioneer of this county which then formed a part of McLean County, and here his life closed a few years later in 1838 at the age of fifty-three years. In early manhood he married Rebecca East, a native of Virginia, who died August 12, 1860, at the age of eighty-one years.

The father of our subject was one of nine children and was but a boy when he came with his parents to DeWitt County in 1833. Consequently the greater part of his life was identified with the growth and development of his part of Illinois. He improved a large tract of land and developed a fine farm of five hundred and twenty-six acres. He dealt quite largely in stock and always kept his farm well supplied with cattle, horses and hogs. He died in 1855, and the county then lost one of it best citizens, who had done much to forward its interests and who was greatly respected by the community with whom so many years of his life had been passed. He took an intelligent interest in politics and was an unswerving adherent of the Republican party. In early manhood Mr. Harrold was wedded to Abigail Bishop, who was a native of Indiana. She died when our subject was an infant, leaving a husband and the following seven children to mourn the loss of one who had ever been a faithful wife and a tender mother: Ephraim B., Eli J., Elam W., Malan, Phoebe G., John A. and Anna.

John A. Harrold was bred to the life of a farmer on the farm where he now resides. In the local district schools he laid the foundation of a sound education, and subsequently spent two years in the Normal University at Bloomington, where he pursued a fine course of study. He had attained the age of eighteen years when he began life in earnest and his success in his career as a farmer is remarkable, for though he is not yet past the prime of life he already occupies a leading position among the most progressive and prosperous men of his class in his native county. He has eleven hundred and seventy-six acres of land, all lying in a body, constituting one of the best improved tracts in Central Illinois. He superintends the farming of this and besides is giving attention to the breeding of fine Poland-China hogs. He is already famous as a breeder of this line of stock, and is well-known not only in this but in other States. He has spared neither money nor pains to purchase the finest specimens of this breed, and has a drove of two hundred and fifty head which is considered one of the finest lot of hogs in Illinois. He has animals on his place which cost him $500 a head in Ohio, and has one hog of his own raising which scores ninety-five points and is about as nearly perfect as it is possible to raise them. His swine are given the best of care and he has finely equipped hog lots and barns and every facility for carrying on this line of farm work. He ships his animals as far south as Texas and as far north as the Dakotas, and so well is he known that he always finds a ready market for them.

Mr. Harrold has his place amply supplied with improvements of the best class, and among these we may note his handsome residence, which is one of the finest farm dwellings in the county. It is a commodious and finely built two-story frame structure and was erected in 1885 at a cost of $5,865. It is complete in all its appointments, and is tastefully and handsomely furnished. A view of this fine home and its pleasant surroundings is presented on another page. To the lady who presides so graciously over this attractive home and cordially co-operates with him in extending its charming hospitalities to their numerous friend, our subject was wedded November 5, 1873. Mrs. Harrold was prior to her marriage Lydia J. Pomfret, and is a native of Illinois, born in Bloomington, June 25, 1855.

Besides attending to his large farming interests here our subject has had extensive stock-raising enterprises elsewhere, as in 1875 he and four of his brothers formed a company to carry on the cattle business in Texas. They leased a tract of land sixty-five by seventy-five miles square, and another ranch of equal dimensions in Tom Greene County, and their enterprise brought them in a large return of money.

This biography records the fact that our subject is a man of more than ordinary force, character and ability, and it will readily be seen that to such men DeWitt County is greatly indebted for its financial prosperity. Mr. Harrold is a stanch advocate of the Republican party and socially is a member of D. Molay Commandery K. T. No. 24, at Bloomington. He is generous, free-hearted, frank and hospitable and is held in universal esteem.

The above article states that John's father died in 1855. It was his mother that died abt 1855. His father, Jonathan Harrold, died in 1881.

Along with his sisters, John can be found in the 1860 census with his father & step-mother Rebecca (Hougham), his step-brother Cary Draper, & his new half-sister, Martha. 
Harrold, John A (I26762)
6 Mrs. Calvin Francis, mother of Mrs. Milo Brown passed away at the Brown home on Thursday. Mrs. Francis had been in failing health for the past year, being confined to her bed a good share of the time. She made her home with her daughter Mrs. Brown. Funeral services were held Saturday at the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Frances was 89 years 11 months and 10 days at the time of her death. She leaves five children, 12 grandchildren, and 10 great grandchildren to mourn her going. Burial was made at Earlham cemetery. Newman, Sarah Catherine (I6339)

Alan Dobson Obituary
Dobson MA, PhD, ScD, Alan

Alan Dobson, 88 passed away peacefully on 21 February 2017 in Ithaca, NY.

He was born in1928 in Bethnal Green, London, England to Albert Percy Dobson and Dorothy Blanche Dobson (née Hougham). He was educated at Westcliff High School For Boys in Essex, England and was evacuated with the rest of the school to Belper in Derbyshire during the war.

After serving as wireless fitter and instructor in Royal Air Force, he took up a scholarship to study Natural Sciences at Corpus Christi College at Cambridge University in 1947, often cycling the 70 miles between Cambridge and his parent's home in Southend.

Completion of his PhD in biochemistry at Aberdeen, Scotland. led to employment at the nearby Rowett Research Institute as a senior scientific officer specializing in ruminant nutrition. There he met the love of his life, Marjorie, a Scottish microbiologist. They were happily married for 59 years until Marjorie's death in 2014.

In 1961, they went to Cornell University in New York State for a year, subsequently returning in 1964 for Alan to take up an appointment initially as an associate professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine and making their home nearby in Etna. Alan worked as a physiologist studying how sheep and cows absorb nutrients and how horse blood circulation is affected by anesthesia until his retirement in 1995 as Professor Emeritus. His academic career was distinguished by his clear thought, careful experimental designs, innovations in measurement technology, and a pervasive integrity. During that time his work with Cor Drost inventing an ultrasonic blood flow meter resulted in the creation of the international company Transonic Systems Inc. based in Ithaca where he thrived in his role as a founding director.

Two sabbatical years in 1970 and 1977 were spent working on research interests back at Cambridge University. In 1978, Alan was awarded the distinction of an ScD by Cambridge University and in 1990 he was made a Quartercentenary Research Fellow at Emmanuel College Cambridge.

Alan enjoyed music making with a group of friends, playing all the different sizes of recorders; such events usually ended with copious tea or beer, homemade bread, cheese and chutney. Alan was also a craftsman, designing and building various early musical instruments over the years, including a rackett, cornettos, a clavichord and finally a bass viol and appropriate bows. He enjoyed looking at art and it was fun to watch how he observed art. At one point both he and Marjorie took up pottery but he gave it up when he realized that thinking about pot shapes was distracting him from his paid research.

The grounds around their home in Etna provided plenty of outdoor work and he particularly enjoyed a bonfire in the meadow behind the house. He read widely enjoying Jane Austen, Trollope, Boswell, detective novels and science.

In 2008 both he and Marjorie went to a care home in Ithaca enabling him to faithfully care for her as her dementia progressed. He is survived by his four children: Ian, Janet, Graham and Barry and nine grandchildren: Julia, Joshua, Beth, Mary, Benjamin, Rowan, Erin, David and Madeline.

A memorial gathering will be at a location and date yet to be confirmed.

Donations can be made to Hospicare 172 East King Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
Published in Ithaca Journal on Mar. 7, 2017
- See more at: 
Dobson, Alan (I25560)

Charles Perrin was a Kent-born, London-based jeweller in 1874, when he decided to take his wife and seven children to a new life in New Zealand.
At the time the New Zealand Government was looking for agricultural labourers to work the lands being opened up, and was providing assisted passage for such migrants. Perrin duly described himself as a “farm labourer from Kent” and the New Zealand Government cheerfully paid £94 5s for the Perrin family’s passage.
The Perrins were booked to come to New Zealand on the Cospatrick and their luggage and furniture were stowed on the ship, along with their piano. But a bereavement meant the family were delayed by one week, and missed sailing on the Cospatrick. The Cospatrick was burnt at sea off South America, with the loss of all but three of the 473 passengers on board.
The family embarked on the Berar on October 15, 1874, no doubt glad to finally leave the Blackwall Depot behind them.The barracks-style accommodation of the depot was renowned as a hotbed of disease, and it seems likely that one disease from the depot was to play a dread part in the Berar’s journey,
Charles Perrin opened his account of the journey on the first day as the ship left the London docks, recording that they had moved down river to Greenhithe, where most of the Perrin children had been born. The next few days were spent beating into bad weather, with Perrin’s cheerful disposition immediately obvious in his journal entries.
“Beautiful weather. Much fun made by sea-sickness.”
Once out into the open seas though Perrin’s gift for description really came into its own.
“Thursday Oct. 21 - Turned out 4am. Found the crew reefing sail. Strong gale - ship shipping much water and laying much on her side, to the great alarm of the ladies and confusion of tins and pans - raps all shift off tables at breakfast - and rolling side to side all day. Large case shifted by the weather, and fresh lashed. Much sickness and fright and few left bunks.
“Was knocked down by coil of hose from off the sheep pen and washed from mid-deck into the gutter and well-drenched with water. Narrow escape from going overboard. Truly those who go down to the sea in ships see the works of the Lord and His wonders in the deep. The ship rolls to and fro, and reels as a drunken man. The ladies must tell of the horrors of this day. “It certainly is awfully Grand. Every few minutes the ship one side or the other under water. “Once she lay for some minutes on her side with her bulwarks some feet under water and the water half up her deck. I thought she could not right herself as I saw her yardarm dip in the sea - and then and then only did I begin to quake, but thinking of my motto, I thought ‘My heart must not fail me. I know in Whom I have trusted.’
“Scarce anything eaten by anyone all day. Bread spoiled again for the third time by the baker and the Cook not able to stand at his fire. Engineer thrown from his bunk and struck his head cutting it open. Shipped a tremendous sea as I was crawling along the bulwark and took a bath free of expense.
8pm put up a sort of side sail to steady the ship and keep her from rolling so much.
“Child with scarlet fever better. Pigs sick. Turned into bunk 9pm.”
The reference to the child with scarlet fever was to return to haunt Perrin’s journal. Although the first child was to recover from the fever there was to be a steady run of funerals on the ship, and Perrin seemed to grow almost blasé about the deaths.
The first deaths occurred on November 1 and Perrin recorded in some detail the process whereby the children were sewn into bags made by the sailmaker, then stones were added to the bags to ensure the bags sunk quickly. He records that the ship’s captain read a service and then the carpenter dropped the bodies through a porthole.
Later in the month he recorded another day with two deaths.
“Another child died this morning, about 4 months old. Not of fever but consumption. Another child died this afternoon of fever, about 3 years old. Both thrown over this evening, with singing, dancing and music going on.”
On November 23 the first adult died of fever, a Mr White who was bound for a small farm near Feilding. His death affected the passengers more than that of the children, and Perrin records that the ship’s company was like one large family in mourning. There were some mourning for other deaths and others were nursing the sick.
He said the men moving around the ship with long faces and downcast looks were thinking of petitioning the captain to return to their home port.
Perrin’s native good spirits soon returned and he was even able to find amusement in rough sailing conditions. On November 29 he recorded that the ship was pitching and rolling in fine style, with the passengers falling and floundering as if they were drunk.
Even the process of getting dinner was fraught with difficulty, as the passengers making their way to dine would find themselves, and their meals, being drenched with sea water as the deck, instead of being horizontal, was standing up perpendicular.
The rough weather passed before the ship reached the Cape, and Perrin recorded his satisfaction with the trip and with their supplies. He says they mixed up the old beef from dinner with some crushed biscuits, then added an onion, baked it and found themselves a great breakfast.

N.Z. Times, Feb. 9th 1917
Yesterday Mr. and Mrs. C.T. Perrin of Riddiford St, Newtown, celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with a gathering held in the Oddfellows' Hall, Lambton Quay. Mr Charles Thomas Perrin was born in Sydenham, Kent, and Mrs Perrin, whose maiden name was Bollen, was born in Weymouth, England. They were married on February 8th, 1857, at St. Giles Church, Camberwell, by the Rev. N.S. Edgell, and lived for some time in London. They left England with their family in October 1874, in the 'Berar' for New Zealand, arriving in Wellington on January 22nd, 1875. Their passages had been taken by the 'Cospatrick' but owing to an accident they were unable to come in her. During the voyage they actually saw the latter ship burning. She was completely destroyed, and Mr. and Mrs. Perrin's household goods which had been shipped by her were lost. There are six sons and three daughters of their family living, and their descendants numbered 31 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.A family tea was held last night at which there were present: Mr. C.W. Perrin of Masterton and his wife; Mr. Alfred Perrin and three sons; Mrs. Huffam (daughter) and four children; Mr. N.C. Perrin (Blenheim) and his wife and daughter; Mrs. Horace Chisholm (daughter) with her husband and two children; Mr. George Frew (son-in-law) and his daughter and two grandchildren.
After tea had been partaken of the old people were presented with a purse of sovereigns from members of their family, and many felicitous speeches were made congratulating them on having attained such an auspicious occasion. The hope was expressed that they would celebrate many other wedding anniversaries.
A large number of congratulatory telegrams were received from all over the country- Christchurch, Hastings, Auckland, Masterton, Blenheim, as well as Wellington.
Later in the evening friends came to add their congratulations in person, and a very pleasant evening was spent with dancing and musical items. A feature of the occasion was the presentation to Mrs. Perrin of a bridal bouquet by her eldest grandchild, Royden Garnham.
During the evening Miss M. Perrin gave a pianoforte solo. Songs were given by Mrs. Garnham, a violin solo by Mr. G. Frew, recitations by Miss May Huffam, the Rev. Mr. Archer and by Mr. Perrin Senior whose recital took twenty-five minutes, quite a wonderful feat of memory. Misses Usher and Cometti gave a duet. 
Perrin, Charles Thomas (I17312)

Mary Wood, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Orr Wood, was born 18 June 1818 in Glasgow Scotland. She was well-educated for that period, and was an accomplished seamstress. She was residing in Liverpool, England, when she came in contact with the Latter-day Saint missionaries, and was baptized March 29, 1839 in the Manchester Branch.
In 1841, Parley P. Pratt was chosen to preside over the British Mission. Mary was an ardent member of the Manchester Branch. After his family returned to Nauvoo (this was the mission where his wife, Mary Ann Frost Pratt, and his children accompanied him} he wrote to Mary Wood and encouraged her to come to Zion. He told her that Mrs. Pratt (Mary Ann) wanted her to live with them in an upper room to follow her trade as a seamstress and milliner, which should be good in Nauvoo.
Mary did come to America and to Nauvoo, March 1, 1844, and on September 9, 1844, she became a plural wife of Parley P. Pratt. She endured the hardships and persecutions with the Saints in the mobbings and slaying of their Prophet and Patriarch. She was among the first to leave her home in that historic February of 1846. Helaman, the first child of Parley and Mary was born on May 31, 1846, on the way to Winter Quarters. They reached the Great Salt Lake Valley September 19, 1847.
Parley and Mary had four children: Helaman, born 31 May 1846; Cornelia, born 5 Sept. 1848; Mary, born 14 Sept. 1853; and Mathoni, born 6 July 1856. After the tragic death of her husband, Mary took over the full responsibility of rearing her four small children, the oldest being only ten years of age. In her young widowhood, she received many proposals of marriage from prominent men, but always the face of Parley came to her and she could see no other. She reared her two sons and two daughters, saw them all married in the temple and all active, energetic church workers. Mary died March 5, 1898 in Salt Lake City.

Deseret News Obituary, 8 May 1898, p. 5 (GS #026,942)
The funeral services of Sister Mary Wood Pratt, wife of the late Apostle
Parley P. Pratt, were held this afternoon at the residence of Bishop A. G.
Driggs, Forest Dale. Elder Royal B. Young, presiding. The Forest Dale quartet
furnished the singing. Bishop E. F. Sheets offered the opening prayer and
President George Q. Cannon addressed those present. He spoke feelingly of the
comforting influences of the Gospel and said that our presence here was proof
that we had kept our first estate and that it was now our duty to keep our
second estate, like unto the departed sister. He impressed upon those present
the importance of laying up treasures that would accompany them to the judgment
Elder Royal B. Young spoke of the early life of the deceased, her noble
qualities, her patience, kindness and indefatigable industry. She had
join her noble husband. After singing the services were closed with prayer by
Bishop James Jensen.
Mary Wood Pratt was born in Glasgow, Scotland, June 18, 1818. She leaves
two sons and two daughters. Helaman Pratt, now in Mexico, Mathoni W. Pratt,
Mrs. Cornelia Pratt Driggs and Mrs. Mary Pratt Young.

!NOTE: Mary Wood was sealed to Parley Parker Pratt on 9 Sep 1844 by Brigham
Young in Nauvoo. They were sealed again over the altar in the Nauvoo Temple on
10 Jan 1846.

!SOURCES: 1) Logan Temple proxy endowments (GS #177,958);
2) Endowment House Proxy Baptisms (GS #183,382);
3) Glasgow Births (GS #102,916 ch #1);
4) Dumfries Births (GS #102,314 lisb);
5) TIB.

!NOTE: All previous Church blessings were reconfirmed and ratified for Mary
Wood on 22 Nov 1967.

!NOTE: Mary Wood was sealed to Parley Parker Pratt on 9 Sep 1844 by Brigham
Young in Nauvoo. They were sealed again over the altar in the Nauvoo Temple on
10 Jan 1846. 
Wood, Mary (I11315)

Date of Birth: September 07, 1918
Death Date: July 09, 1994
Sex: Female
Race: White
Age: 75 Years
Place of Occurance: Wilmington, New Hanover, North Carolina
Place of Residence: Wilmington. New Hanover, North Carolina
Hospital: Home
Marital Status: Unknown
Attendant: Physician
Mode of Burial: Other in state
State of Birth: North Carolina
Social Security Number: 237387001
Fathers Surname: HUFHAM 
Hufham, Louise (I6337)

Edwin Jackson Russell, the youngest son of John and Hannah Russell, was born September 9, 1871 in Wensley, Yorkshire, England. He came to America with his parents and five brothers when he was nine years of age. He would tell of his life in England and going to school there. He remembered the whales on the ocean. He grew up on the farm and loved rural life. As a young man he went away to business school at Fremont, Nebraska. He was a beautiful penman and loved neat small figures in his books. Physically he was probably considered rather short, 5'8" or 9", stocky build and a beautiful head of auburn hair and a fair complexion to go with it. He wore a mustache as a young father.
He was working for his oldest brother, William, when he met Kate Almira Ludington, the district schoolmarm that boarded there. They were married April 9, 1898, in Fullerton, Nebraska.

third daughter of John W. Ludington and Rebecca Newman. She was born March 25, 1874 at Lone Tree, now Central City, Merrick county, Nebraska.
In about 1903 the Indian Territory of South Dakota opened up for the drawing of land. Edwin, Kate and their two children along with an older brother, James and his family, and a brother-in-law, John Ludington with his family, went up to get land. They did not get land on the first drawing but were able to purchase land from speculators that did, very cheap. James and Edwin started the Rose Bud National Bank of Herrick, South Dakota. They remained there for three or four years and returned to Fullerton.
Upon returning to Nebraska, Edwin and Kate moved to a farm of 160 acres about 10 miles west of Fullerton near the original farm. He farmed, fattened cattle and hogs for market and had a generally busy and full life. There were brothers and neighbors around them for heavy work, for they helped each other when the need arose. Their family numbered five now, two boys and three girls.
The Oldest, (Viola) Marie, was ready for high school so they decided to move to town. This was about 1914. Edwin worked in the bank for a time and in the Fullerton grain Elevator, but could not forget his love for the farm. About 1918 he bought 80 acres two miles west of town. They built a lovely two story home, tile barn and hog house and other buildings on it and moved their family there. He was able to keep his boys busy and each child had a pony to enjoy and care for.
About 1922, Edwin semi-retired letting his oldest son, (Edwin) Clyde, do the farming. His youngest son, Kenneth Ludington died of a ruptured appendix after a short illness, August 16, 1921 at 15 years of age.
Edwin J. died very suddenly December 19, 1923 at 52 years of age. He had been herding some cattle which were out of the fence, down by the river, some distance from the house. He apparently suffered a heart attack. He was able to get into the wagon and start the team, which brought him to the house. This was a very traumatic experience to the children and especially to Kate.
Kate and her two daughters Kathryn Eleanor and Edith Marion moved into Fullerton. Kate was active in 4-H work, being a leader for several years. She was on the County Fair Board and active in her Episcopal Church. She enjoyed hand work and braided many rugs, she learned to make quilts from wool. She washed, dried, carded the wool and tied the quilts. 
Russell, Edwin Jackson (I6390)

Gordon and Jill Martens

September 7, 2021

Gordon Louis Martens and Nona Jill (Hougham) Martens passed from this life on September 7, 2021. Visitation will be held on September 13, 2021 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Veterans Reception Center, 910 Main Street, Van Meter, Iowa. Funeral services will be held at the same location on September 14, 2021 at 10:00 a.m., with committal services at Iowa Veterans Cemetery at 11:00 a.m., and a luncheon to follow back at the reception center.

The perfect couple. However you knew them – as Gordon and Jill, or Mom and Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa, or Aunt Jill and Uncle Gordon, or Gordie and Jill – you could not help but to admire their lifelong partnership and love story. They laughed together. Sang together. Danced together. Worshiped together. Traveled together. They took care of each other. They honored each other. They loved each other. And when it was time to leave the burdens of this world behind, and move on to greater glory, they made the journey together.

Gordon was born at his Aunt Kate's house in rural Van Meter on December 9, 1939. Growing up, he attended Trinity Lutheran Church with his parents, Lou and Anna Martens, and his two brothers, Kenny and Gene. Gordon graduated from Van Meter High School in 1957. He joined the Iowa Air National Guard in December 1960, and served an accomplished and lengthy military career. He was commissioned as a Captain in November 1979, and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1995. No one was more patriotic than Gordon. He loved his country, and his fellow Guardsmen. His involvement with the Guard did not end or fade away when Gordie retired. To the contrary, he and Jill seemed to enjoy Guard events and gatherings even more in retirement. Gordon was kind, strong, and steady, always willing to lend guidance and leadership, whenever and wherever called upon.

Jill was born on June 28, 1942. Growing up, she attended Booneville United Methodist Church with her parents, Everett and Lucylle Hougham, and her sister, Jean. Jill graduated from Van Meter High School in 1960. She received her nursing license from Iowa Methodist Medical Center in 1963. After working as a nurse for a brief period, she transitioned to stay-at-home mother and wife when Valerie was born in 1966, followed by Dan in 1968. Although not practicing, Jill forever retained her pride of being a nurse, keeping her license current for several decades. Jill was kind, gentle, and sincere, always ready to get to work, and never one to complain or procrastinate. She took care of others in many ways, but especially through her baking of cookies.

Gordon and Jill were married in the Booneville United Methodist Church on October 26, 1963. Living in Booneville for more than 40 years, they moved to their home in rural Van Meter in 2007, just a short distance from the house where Gordon grew up. Over the years, they thoroughly enjoyed spending time at their second residence in Clear Lake, Iowa, particularly in connection with hosting their annual July 4th celebration. They treasured their children, Valerie and Dan, their son-in-law, Ben Schultz, their daughter-in-law, Kathy (Havighurst) Martens, and each of their precious grandchildren, Joshua, Caleb, Anna, Grace, Will, Andrew, Emmie Lou, and R.J.

Gordon and Jill's life together was a love story. We celebrate them, and we honor them. Two love-birds, who left this world together.

Published by Globe Gazette on Sep. 12, 2021.
To plant trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.

PHILIP JOENS | Des Moines Register
19 hours ago
Gordon Martens and Jill Hougham met as student council members at Van Meter High School in the mid-1950s — he was a senior, she a freshman.

They weren't high school sweethearts but started dating shortly after she graduated in 1960. They married three years later at a church in Jill's hometown of Booneville and spent most of the next six decades by each other's side.

The couple raised two children, had eight grandchildren and would have celebrated their 58th anniversary on Oct. 26. But around 1:45 p.m. Sept. 7, the Iowa State Patrol says the driver of a tractor-trailer failed to recognize slowing traffic on Interstate Highway 35 southbound and caused a multi-vehicle crash that killed both Gordon and Jill Martens as they drove home from their cabin in Clear Lake. He was 81 years old; she was 79.

The tractor-trailer crashed into the back end of another semi before hitting a van, injuring a 35-year-old man from Clear Lake, and hitting the Martenses' red GMC Canyon pickup truck, according to a State Patrol crash report. The impact caused the Martenses' vehicle to crash into another semi.

The driver of the semi that caused the Martenses' crash, Matthew Rewitzer, 32, of Eagle Bend, Minnesota, was involved in two similar rear-end crashes in Wisconsin and Minnesota over the last 18 months, according to a review of traffic citations and other public records by The Des Moines Register.

Through Sept. 28, 252 people have been killed on Iowa roads this year, up from 242 at the same point last year, according to data from the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Iowa State Patrol: Two from Van Meter killed when semi fails to stop for slowing traffic

Crash was 'senseless and needless'
Jim Turner of Winona, Minnesota, was in the right lane of Interstate 35 south of Ames the afternoon of Sept. 7, hauling Hormel pork to a warehouse in Altoona, when he got caught in traffic.

Flashing signs warned of slowing or stopping traffic ahead as Turner passed Ames, he said. Around mile marker 106, where the crash happened, a gradual downhill allowed him to see tail lights "for a long ways ahead."

Turner turned on his flashing hazards to alert other drivers of the backup. Traffic stopped momentarily and then inched ahead, Turner recalled — the Martenses' truck was in the left lane, Turner's rig was in the right.

It was then that he remembers hearing what sounded like "three huge booms."

"Sometimes at these fireworks finales you hear a real loud boom like that," Turner said. "It just reverberated and shook everything."

The crash report says the booms came from crashes caused by a 2007 Peterbilt tractor-trailer driven by Rewitzer that failed to stop. Iowa State Patrol Sgt. Alex Dinkla said the crash is still under investigation, and Rewitzer has not been charged or cited.

Turner, who was not injured in the crash but whose semi sustained about $10,000 in damage, said the impact was so loud that he still hears it. He vividly remembers the wreckage. And from his point of view, there was no indication the approaching tractor-trailer slowed before impact.

"I didn’t see any tire marks or anything there," he said. "There was nothing.

"It was just senseless and needless. It didn't have to happen." 
Martens, Gordon Louis (I2740)

He is recorded on Derring Role of Arms as sone of Robert de Hougham 1
He is recorded in An Assessment of Holders of Knights fees at the knighting of the kings son anno 38 Henry 3 (1253-4)
He is recorded as holding in the Hendredum of Beasburgh the following- The manor of Hougham near Dover,entry 85, The Manor of Hawkinge near Folkestone, entry 166, the Manor of Boughton Monchenesy, entry 146
He is recorded on an inquisition dated July 1258 as holding at time of his death the manor of Wavering by the same Knights service as given for his father
He is recorded on another inquisition at his death. It is headed thus" A writ to inquire how much land Robert de Hougham held of the Knights capite. Tested at Westminster 26 July King Henry 6" (1257-8). In it it is recorded that He owned the manor of Boxley (didn't Robert 1 give this away?- RY). He owned a mill and Land at Farlech county Kent. He owned the estate of Hope House near Folkestone. He owned lands in Maidstone and other lands and a weir at and near Maidstone. The writ ends" and Robert de Hougham his son is the next heir and is 8 years old.
This gives the date of his death as just prior to 26 July 1258 and his son as born 1250.
It does not give all his lands as other lands in other Hundredums of the county had their inquisitions, also other lands held of the King by Knights service are stated
He is recorded on a livery of his sons fiefe- lands (see next Robert) which states that he owned the manor of Hougham the manor of Borton Monchenessy the manor of Wavering, the manor of Dolleham ,Sussex where Beatrice died 24 June 1274
Derring Role of Arms,
1253-4 assessment Knights fee entry 85, 166, 146.
Inquisition on death 1258
Livery of Fiefs lands 1274

Robert de Hougham died possessed of it in the 41st year of king Henry III. as did his descendant of the same name in the 10th year of Edward II. without male issue, leaving a daughter Benedicta, who carried her interest in this estate in marriage to John de Shelving, of Shelvingbourne, and he died in the 4th year of Edward III. leaving his wife Benedicta surviving, who in the 20th year of that reign paid respective aid for this manor, which the heirs of Robert de Hougham then held at West Bocton of Hugh de Vere. She died in the 22d year of that reign; after which this name expired in two daughters and coheirs, one of whom, Helen, was married to John de Bourne; and the other Joan, to John Brampton, alias Detling, of Detlingcourt, who entitled their husbands to their respective rights in this manor. Robert Bourne died possessed of one part of it in the 42d year of king Edward III. which his daughter and heir carried in marriage to Edmund Haut, of Haut's-place, in Petham, who possessed it in the 8th year of king Henry IV. in which year he was sheriff. His descendant alienated it before the end of king Henry VI.'s reign to Reginald Peckham, esq. who was then in possession of it, as appears by an old court-roll of that time.

From: 'Parishes: Boughton Monchensie', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 5 (1798), pp. 336-345. URL: Date accessed: 03 December 2007.

HOPE-HOUSE, usually called Hope-farm, is an estate in the northern part of this parish, near Combe, which antiently belonged to the knightly family of Hougham. Robert de Hougham died possessed of it in the 41st year of king Henry III. and his grandson, of the same name, died anno 29 Edward I. without male issue, leaving two daughters his coheirs, married to Shelving and Valoigns. Soon after which, that is, in king Edward II.'s reign, it appears to have been in the possession of the Clintons, and William de Clinton, earl of Huntingdon, died possessed of it anno 28 king Edward III.S.p. on which it came to his nephew and heir Sir John de Clinton, son of his elder brother John de Clinton, of Maxtoke, in Warwickshire, who was afterwards summoned to parliament; in whose descendants it continued down to John, lord Clinton, who, about the beginning of king Henry VII.'s reign sold it to Davis, from which family, partly by marriage of a female heir, and partly by purchase, it passed into the possession of Lessington, and he, about the end of queen Elizabeth's reign, alienated it to Hopday, in whose descendants it continued for some time, till at length by a daughter and coheir of that name, it was carried in marriage to Mr. Richard Thomas, of Alkham, whose son Mr. John Thomas, of that place, continues owner of it,

From: 'The town and parish of Folkestone', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 152-188. URL: Date accessed: 03 December 2007. 
Hougham, Robert The Second (I43)

on 1861 census living with parents

Dress maker living with parents at 6 the croft in 1871

Helping mother in 1881

On 1981 census assistant in furniture shop lodging at 24 Alexandra street Living with sister harriet

cannot find on 1901 census

cannot find on 1911 census 
Phillips, Emily (I17430)

On 1871 census as living with parents

On 1881 census living with mother

Boy in gentlemans house 
Huffam, Thomas James Collins (I8161)

OBITUARY - Dallas County News - September 2, 1925 p.1


Well-Known Dallas County Resident Passed Away at Home in Adel Saturday

Emanuel Stacy, prominent Dallas County man, who has lived in the community practically all his long life, passed away at the family home Saturday afternoon, August 29, following a long illness.
Funeral services were held at the home Monday afternoon and were largely attended by old friends and neighbors. Interment was made at the Panther Creek cemetery.
Emanuel Stacy was born in Washington County IN on July 4, 1855. There were six children in the family, five of whom survive. They are Jasper Stacy, Adel; Mrs. W.W. Van Cleave of Clifford ND; A.B. Stacy of Boyce ID; Mrs. James Cowan of CA.
The family moved to Iowa in 1856, when Emanuel was about a year old. They located first in Monroe County, coming to Dallas County in 1863, and took up residence on a farm just east of the one upon which he reared his family, in Adams Twp.
On December 19, 1877, Mr. Stacy was married to Sarah Hougham, and to this union six children were born, five of whom survive. They all reside in Dallas County and are: Mrs. Grace O'Brien, Linden; Walter, John, and Charles Stacy, Adel; and Mrs. Mary Westcot, Linden. Nine grandchildren are also left to feel the loss of this splendid man.

(People in attendance: Mrs. Kate Francis, Earlham; Mr. and Mrs. John Redfern, Linden; Mr. and Mrs. A. Isenhart, Panora; Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Westcot, Linden)

Burial: 31 Aug 1925, Panther Creek Cemetery, Dallas County IA
Cause of Death: Nephritis
Comment 1: Lot 15 Grave 1
Comment 2: Will date 6 Feb 1922/ Filed 29 Sept 1925
Ethnicity/Relig.: United Brethren
Occupation: Farmer 
Stacy, Emanuel (I2636)

Arrived Glasgow aboard the Banfora a ministry of war transport ship from Halifax Nova Scotia on 27 May 1942 a Deck boy

28 April 1923 sailed Liverpool to Boston on the Laconia Date of Arrival: 6 May 1923
Age: 2

Estimated birth year: abt 1921

Name: Edwin Eric Huffam Age: 31 Birth Date: 16 May 1921 Issue Date: 7 Jan 1952 State: Massachusetts Locality, Court: District of Masssachusetts, District Court Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions and Records of the U.S. District Court, 1906-1966, and the U.S. Circuit Court, 1906-1911, for the District of Massachusetts 
Huffam, Edwin Eric (I13021)

Daniel was born on his family farm in Waynesville, Illinois. (DeWitt county) On June 16, 1861 Daniel, along with 18 other young men from DeWitt county rode to St. Louis Missouri and enlisted in the Army. (We think this is because he wanted to get into an outfit that would go right into the war). He joined for a 3 year term as a private in CO. E. Regiment of the 8th Missouri Infantry. Daniel was in many skirmishes, but the battles he was in were the "Battle of Fort Henry", the "Battle of Fort Donelson" and the "Battle of Shiloh". On April 7, 1862, the second day of the Battle of Shiloh, Daniel was severely wounded. The battle was so intense that Daniel was left on the battlefield between the lines for the entire day, until night. After sundown he was rescued and taken to a temporary hospital tent where they found his injuries to be a shattered left hip. They sent him by wagon (Hospital wagon train) to the Tennessee River where he was transferred to a hospital barge and taken to Cincinnati, Ohio to the West End Military Hospital. So 85 days after he was wounded he finally got to the hospital to see a surgeon. (All of this is documented in newspaper clippings and documents). He was treated, stayed until he could ride either a train or a horse and released with an Honorable Discharge. (I have 6 Army issued copies of papers from the Civil War on Daniel). On May 30, 1863, at the age of 20 Daniel married his first cousin Catherine Ellington age 21. She was the daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Rubottom) Ellington. They had 9 children, 5 boys and 4 girls. All were born in a log cabin Daniel built when him and Catherine were married. On October 18.1917 Catherine passed away. (I have her obit from the paper and the one the family wrote out.) On October 31, 1929 Daniel passed away. They are buried together in the Evergreen cemetery in Waynesville.

For the Civil War the quota of troops assigned to Illinois was 244,490, and this state furnished 259,092 volunteers. These troops were organized into seventeen regiments of cavalry, two regiments and eight batteries of artillery, 157 regiments and nine companies of infantry, a grand total of 176 regiments, and nine companies, and eight batteries. The following is official from the records of the adjutant general's office at Washington, giving the ages and number of enlistment's for the Union in the Civil War. The number of 10 years and under--------------25 The number of 11 years and under--------------38 The number of 12 years and under---------------225 The number of 13 years and under--------------300 The number of 14 years and under--------------1,523 The number of 15 years and under--------------1,04,987 The number of 16 years and under--------------231,051 The number of 17 years and under--------------844,891 The number of 18 years and under--------------1,151,438 The number of 21 years and under--------------2,159,798 The number of 22 years and under--------------618,511 The number of 25 years and under--------------46,626 The number of 44 years and under--------------16,071 ______________________________________________ THE WAR FOR THE UNION Nothing better can be said that has been said relative to the first company raised in De Witt county in behalf of upholding the nation with a big "N" on the occasion of one of the annual reunions of Company E, Twentieth Illinois regiment, as follows: When it is noted that 1,151,438 biys in blue of eighteen and under entered to field and served in the navy and out of nearly 3,000,000 recruits only 46,626 of them were over twenty-five years of age, the average soldier was a little under eighteen years. The now veterans were then really "boys" and they loyally and successfully wore the blue. There were eighteen boys of seventeen and under, to one man of twenty-five or older in this service. The longevity of the men who served in the Civil war is remarkable. The following is quoted from a letter written by commissioner of pensions, Eugene F. Ware, giving the status of July 1, 1905: "There came out of that great war as shown by the records of the war department, 1,727,835 men. There will be living on the first of this coming July, 800,000 of these old soldiers, showing at the end of nearly forty-three years, over one half of them are still living and the mortality is less per annum than is generally given, or is generally supposed. "The reason for this is that no such race of people ever found their way into the army and no such people ever came out of so great a war inured not only to military service but to all the rigors and vicissitudes of life. In short, the mortuary rate among the old soldiers of the Civil war is less than among the selected risks of the insurance companies." Yet for many years after 1865 the same old soldier was not deemed a desirable applicant for life insurance. It cannot be said in regard to the republic of the United States that it is or has been ungrateful, and that it has not to the letter carried out its contact with its volunteers as faithfully as the same volunteers performed their part. The pension bureau has dispensed to old soldiers and their widows and minor children, since the war, over $3,500,000. On February 7, 1907, congress by a nearly unanimous vote passed the act granting to survivors of the Mexican and Civil war pensions $12. per month for those between sixty-two and seventy years of age; and $15 per month between seventy and seventy five years of age; $20 per month to those over seventy-five years age over. This law is virtually a gratuity and in no manner covers pensions granted for wounds or other disability. The public seems to consider this action fair, and "old boys" applications are being placed on file by thousands daily as an expression of their approval. 185,000 file within thirty days after the enactment. Illinois was born a free state. Her people abhorred the "peculiar institution" of slavery and by her record in the war between the states proved herself loyal to her institutions and maintenance of the Union. The time was now when declarations of fidelity and attachment to the nation were to be put to a practical test. that "the nation possessed no constitutional power to coerce the seedling state, as uttered by James Buchanan in his annual message, was received by the people of Illinois with humiliation and distrust and in the campaign of 1860, when Abraham Lincoln combated with all the force of his matchless logic and rhetoric this monstrous polemical heresy, the issue was clearly drawn between the north and the south and it became manifest to many that in the event of the election of Lincoln to the presidency war would follow between the states. The people of Illinois nursed no hatred toward any section of th country but were determined to hold such opinions upon questions of public interest and vote for such men as to them seemed for the general good, uninfluenced by any threat of violence or civil war. So it was that they anxiously awaited the expiring hours of the Bucahanan administration and looked to the incoming president as to an expected deliverer that should rescue the nation from the hands of the traitors and the control of those whose resistance invited her destruction. The firing upon the flag of Fort Sumter aroused burning indignation throughout the loyal states of the republic and nowhere was it more intense than in Illinois, and when the proclamation of the president was published April 15, 1861, calling for seventy-five thousand citizen soldiers, to maintain the honor, the integrity and the existence of our national Union and the perpetuity of popular government, they were more than willing to respond to the call. Party lines gave way and for a while at least, the party spirit was hushed and the cause of our common country was supreme in the affections of the people. Fortunate, indeed, was the state at this crisis in having a truly representative man as excessive of the state. Thoroughly honest, and as equally earnest, wholly imbued with the enthusiasm of the hour and fully aroused to the importance of the crisis and the magnitude of the struggle upon which the people were entering, with an indomitable will under the control of a strong common sense, Richard Yates was indeed a worthy chief to organize and direct the engirds of the people in what was before them. In Clinton all was excitement and every citizen was imbued with the momentous of the coming struggle. At Clinton, after the great conflict had resulted in victory for the Union cause, a speech was delivered before the surviving members of Company E, Twentieth Illinois Regiment, the first to be raised in Clinton, which gives in a concise and graphic manner the early part taken in the Civil war by the citizens of this community. "On Friday, April 19, 1861, a public meeting was held at the court house in this city to respond to the call of Governor Yates for volunteers under President Lincoln's proclamation for seventy-five thousand men. Old Colonel George B. Lemon, who held a commission in the state Militia, presided, and made a short speech. The crowd that came to the meeting was too large to occupy the court room, so the meeting adjourned to the square. Every loyal heart was full of enthusiasm, and the soul stirring notes of Jack Robinson's fife and John Stoker's drum added to the excitement. It was no time for speech making. Treason had raised its hand against the flag of our country and men of all parties were ready to rush to arms. When Colonel Lemon called for volunteers, Evan Richards, a soldier of the Mexican war, and a practicing physician, was the first to step forward. Then came Clay Phares, J.M. North, Dr. Goodbrake, J. Richey Conklin, and others, who stepped into the line with him. by this time the military ardor became catching and it was but a little while till the company was nearly filled to its maximum. An election of officers was held at once and Evan Richards was elected Captain H.C. Phares, first lieutenant; John Bullock , second lieutenant; J.M. North, third lieutenenat. Instead of telegraphing to Springfield, Captain Richards went by rail to Decatur and from thence to Springfield. By the time he reached the capital, Governor Yates had tendered to him more companies than would thrice fill the call. This was a sad disappointment to the brave boys. However, the company was held in state service and on Friday, May 10, it went into camp at Camp Goodell , at Joliet. Prior to leaving, the ladies of Clinton presented the company with a handsome flag, the work of their own hands. The presentation speech was made by Miss Lydia Gideon, (later Mrs, J.M. Prior) and the flag was accepted on behalf of the company by Dr. Christopher Goodbrake. That flag was worn out in the service. 
Ellington, Daniel (I3768)

Elvin E. Fleming, "Bud", (82), died February 8th, 2015.

Bud was born in the town of East Pepin, WI on January 3, 1933, the second child and oldest son of the five children of Elvin Gilbert and Matilda Rose (Wyatt) Fleming. He grew up on farms in the Town of Pepin and attended Pepin Public, Lost Creek, and Hicks Valley elementary schools. He received a diploma from Pepin High School in 1951. In 1951 Bud enlisted in, was trained and served as an aircraft mechanic by the U.S. Navy. His shore duty was at Alameda, CA and his sea duty was as a petty officer 2nd class with jet fighter squadron VF-91 aboard the USS Hornet in the western Pacific. Upon discharge from the Navy in 1955, Bud worked as a construction laborer in that summer and with the Korean GI Bill, financed the pursuit of a broad area major in the social sciences with a history emphasis and a physical education-coaching minor at UW-River Falls.

In partnership with his wife Viva, Bud regarded his family as his greatest accomplishment. Bud and Viva Marie (Hertzfeldt), of Alma, were married in 1956. Four children were born to them: Jon (Mary), Julie (Kraig), Jac (Michelle), and Jayne (Dan).

Viva taught at Spring Valley, WI while Bud finished at River Falls. They both
taught at the Lac du Flambeau, WI public school until 1963 when they accepted contracts to teach in the public schools at Thorp, WI. Bud retired from teaching in 1996 and was drawn into local politics, having earlier served as alderman for two terms on the Thorp City Council. He then served five terms on the Clark County Board and one term on the Thorp School Board.

While teaching, Bud earned a Master's degree in teaching History at UW-Eau Claire and a private pilot’s license at Gibson Aviation, Eau Claire. Among the avocations Bud enjoyed besides flying were gardening, woodworking, hunting, genealogy and an ongoing study of the history of the English speaking people.

Along the path of Bud’s life, he appreciated the companionship and sometimes mentoring of a stream of friends from all walks of life, including numerous former students.

Bud is survived by his wife, Viva; 4 children; 15 grandchildren, Deanna (Nick) Kubiak, Jon Fleming , Traci (Will) Beulow, Dana (Joe) Kaufman, Levi Fleming-Huck, Jessica (Matt) Thorn, Marissa (Kenny) Van Gundy, Adrian Fleming, Megan Wolfe, David Culhane, Travis (Amber) Thorn, Courtney (Kenny) Jones, Cassie Fleming, Jaclyn Fleming, Magda Dick and nine great grandchildren, Phillip, Audrey, Braydon, Lydia, Nina, Chelsea, Emily, Kenny and Anthony; siblings, Mike (Natalie) and Mary "Boots", nieces, nephews and cousins. He was preceded in death by parents, Elvin and Tilly Fleming, and sisters, Mylis and Rose.

A time to celebrate his life will be held on Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4pm at the Abbott Funeral Home in Wabasha with Pastor Dan Richardson officiating. Interment will be at Oakwood Cemetery in Pepin at a later date. Family and friends may call at the funeral home from 2pm until the time of service. 
Fleming, Elvin Eugene (Bud) (I8434)

On 1881 census living with parents Bricklayers mate

Cannot find on any other census 
Irons, Richard (I18209)

on 1911 census living with parents

Registered for identity card in 1939 Miner Living with brother Albert 
Hougham, William Ernest (I10339)

Place of Death: Wilmington, New Hanover
Place of Residence: Wilmington, New Hanover
Institution: Home
Date of Death: February 06, 1968
Sex: Female
Race: White
Age: 82 Years 00 Months 00 Days
Autopsy: No
Place of Injury:
Mode of Burial:
Marital Status: Married
Attendant: Physician
Year Received: 1968 
Hufham, Jennette (I6863)
23 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I7869)

"1180 he witnessed a grant between Hugh de Dover and the Abbotts and Monks of
St Berton, St Omer, France, the lands being in Kent, England.
"Hougham-Hurley Genealogical Record[page 11]"

The above reference is probably better attributed to William Brother of Robert 1 than William de Avranches

William came to England with William the Conquerer taking the Name of the Town he left-Avranches. When William settled down, Willaim D'Avranches was made Lord of the manor of Hougham (An Anglo Saxon Manor near Dover) together with sundry other manors and was one of the 8 Knights who were wardens over Dover Castle under John de Fienne. He probably married Matilda daughter of Baldwin De Redvers Earl of Devon but no definate proof exists. A window to his memory may be seen in Dover Castle

Alternative view is that Robert D'Averanche's mother was one Adeliza de Moels

Of Normandy, Cousin ( ie bloood relation) to Richard, surnamed Goz who was father of Hugh d'Avranche, the famous Earl of Chester

Installed Comte D'Avranches by William of Normandy (later William of England) in 1040. A member of the Ducal family of Normandy and a relative of Richard Goz whose son later became Earl of Chester

In the lath of Estrei, in Wingeham hundred, the archbishop himself holds Wingeham in demesne. It was taxed at forty sulings in the time of king Edward the Consessor, and now for thirty-five. The arable land is . . . . . . In demesne there are eight carucates, and four times twenty and five villeins, with twenty borderers having fifty-seven carucates. There are eight servants, and two mills of thirty-four sulings. Wood for the pannage of five hogs, and two small woods for fencing. In its whole value, in the time of king Edward the Consessor, it was worth seventy-seven pounds, when he received it the like, and now one hundred pounds. Of this manor William de Arcis holds one suling in Fletes, and there be has in demesne one carucate, and four villeins, and one knight with one carucate, and one fisbery, with a saltpit of thirty pence. The whole value is forty shillings. Of this ma nor five of the archbishop's men hold five sulings and an half and three yokes, and there they have in demesne eight carucates, and twenty-two borderers, and eight servants. In the whole they are worth twenty-one pounds.

From: 'Parishes: Wingham', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 224-241. URL: Date accessed: 05 December 2007.

BUT TO RETURN, the Conqueror, soon after his coronation, having intrusted his half-brother Odo, bishop of Baieux, whom he had made earl of Kent, with the government of this castle, which from its strength and importance, was called the lock and key of the kingdom, clavis et repagulum regni, and committed this whole county to his charge, sent him with a strong force for its defence, against any attack which might be made upon it. (fn. 5) But Odo behaved with such tyranny afterwards, that the Kentish men, finding their complaints treated with insults instead of redress, applied to Eustace, earl of Bologne, for his assistance, to free themselves and the rest of their countrymen from the oppression of this proud and avaricious prelate; accordingly they concerted a plan to surprize and possess themselves of Dover castle; for which purpose, the earl landed with his men in the night-time, but in their approach towards the castle they were discovered, as they were ascending the hill, by the centinels of the garrison, and whilst they were endeavouring to scale the walls, the besieged made a sudden and unexpected sally, and as the assailants were wholly unprepared for it, the earl lost many of his best men, some of whom were slain and others driven over the precipice; upon which he retreated to his ships, with such of them as had escaped, and left the Kentish men to the mercy of the regent.
At length, Odo falling under the king's displeasure, was sent prisoner by him into Normandy, and all his possessions were confiscated to the crown; upon which the king seized this castle into his own hands, and immediately fortified it anew, and for the further security of it, put it underan entire new system of government; for which purpose he committed to his kinsman John de Fiennes, not only the government and custody of it, but of the rest of the ports too, by gift of inheritance, naming him constable of Dover castle and warden of the cinque ports, and to enable him to bear the charge of it, he gave him one hundred and seventy one knights sees and upwards in lands, in order that he should distribute part of them among other courageous and trusty knights, for the defence and preservation of it. Accordingly he made choice of eight others, to whom he liberally distributed in portions, the greatest part of what he had received from the king, these were, William de Albrincis, Fulbert de Dover, William de Arsic, Galfridus Peverel, William Maminot, Robert de Port, Hugh Crevequer, and Adam Fitzwilliams; each of whom was bound by the tenure of the lands, so given, to maintain one hundred and twelve soldiers. These lands were held in capite by barony, at first of the constable and of his eight knights respectively, and afterwards of the king as of his castle of Dover. Besides these lands, there was a considerable quantity in this county, as well as others, which was held by the tenure likewise of ward to this castle, for the common defence of it, by which means there was always a garrison of one thousand men in it, for its defence; which service, in like manner as those beforementioned, was afterwards changed into a payment of money, to be applied to the like purpose. And the constable so divided these soldiers, by the months of the year, that one hundred and twenty five were to enter, to perform watch and ward within the castle, for their several allotments of time, (exclusive of the ward performed by him) and the rest were to be ready whenever they were commanded on any urgent necessity; and they each of them had their several charges given them in particular towers, turrets, and bulwarks of the castle, which they were enjoined to build, and from time to time to maintain and repair; in consequence of which, they afterwards bore the names of their respective captains. And thus, this castle being well fortified, and furnished with a numerous garrison, under a governor and officers of approved courage and trust, gained the reputation of a most important, strong, and necessary hold, not only among the princes and nobility of this kingdom, but with those foreign ones, who made war against this realm; insomuch, that whatever wars or commotions happened afterwards, either foreign or domestic, this castle was always the chief object to which every one directed his first attention to gain possession of it; and to secure the possession of it, king Henry II. in 1153, being the year before he ascended the throne, arriving here from Normandy, built a new keep, or palace, in this castle, upon the plan of Gundulph, bishop of Rochester, and inclosed it with a new wall; and the strength of it was at that time such, that in king John's reign, when Lewis, dauphin of France, invaded this kingdom, he immediately marched hither with the whole of his power, and besieged it vigorously; but Hubert de Burgh, earl of Kent, then constable of it, and warden of the cinque ports, defended it with such resolution and courage, that the French gave over all thoughts of possessing it, and raised the siege. (fn. 6) And as Lambarde observes, the delivery of this land from foreign servitude at that time, was entirely owing to the bravery and conduct of this great man, who, finding much inconvenience in the antient arrangement for the defence of this castle, afterwards, with Henry III.'s consent, in the year 1263, changed the system of it, and instead of the personal attendance of those, who were bound by their tenure to defend it, he ordained that they should pay a sum of money, to maintain a regular garrison; the land being charged with ten shillings for every warder, which new rent was called from thenceforward castle-ward. By adopting this plan, he secured a number of men, who were regularly. trained to their duty, and were no longer, as they had been before, ignorant of the service required of them; after which he new regulated the guard and watch, and increased the number of the garrison, and warders; and he influenced the king, by his free charter, in his 11th year, to abolish the custom of forage, due to the castle, in and before whose reign the constable used to make captures upon the Kentish men, of straw, hay, corn, and other like things, by the name of forage, in Latin, furragium. (fn. 7)

From: 'The town and port of Dover', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 475-548. URL: Date accessed: 05 December 2007. 
d'Averanches, William (I12)
25 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I19040)

2 dead in plane crash near Sandwich
April 11, 2009 11:19 PM | 5 Comments | UPDATED STORY
Randy Hougham ate breakfast, got a haircut and, seeing it was a beautiful Saturday morning, decided to take some friends up in his restored vintage plane at the Sandwich Airport in DeKalb County, family said.
Meeting him were several members of the Hamilton family, including Lauren Hamilton, 22, a recent Bradley University graduate home to celebrate Easter.
Hamilton's father and grandfather went up with Hougham and landed safely.
But something went wrong on Hamilton's flight and both she and Hougham were killed when the single-engine 1946 Ercoupe 415-C crashed and caught fire about 1:50 p.m. in a cornfield along Route 34 just north of the private air strip, authorities said. The two were pronounced dead at the scene.

Officials at the scene of a small plane crash in a DeKalb County cornfield. (Tribune / Zbigniew Bzdak)
The plane had belonged to Hougham's grandfather. Hougham tracked it down after finding an old picture his mother had taken of it in 1948, according to a post he left on a message board devoted to that type of aircraft.
It took more than a year to restore the plane, and he started flying it in 2006, according to those posts.
"He was a great guy, a good family man, a good dad," said Hougham's brother-in-law, Bruce Burlingame of Glen Ellyn. "He was just a normal guy who did construction work and had a plane."
Hougham, 53, leaves behind two adult sons, he said.
Hamilton--a "happy, smiley, bubbly" woman--was living and working in Peoria, said Sheila Kotecki, whose daughter was good friends with her.
The 2005 Sandwich Community High School graduate loved theater and being with friends, Kotecki said.
Bill Coons of Lombard, a retired FAA aviation counselor and longtime Ercoupe owner, supplied Hougham with information for restoring the plane. He ended up giving Hougham and his son--then an Army pilot--their first ride in an Ercoupe, he said.
Hougham, who had thanked Coons in an online post, kept the plane meticulously maintained, Coons said.
"Randy was a very capable guy. He was flying all the time," said Coons. "Something mechanically must've gone wrong. It's the safest airplane in the world. These things don't fall out of the sky."
Sandwich, a small town of more than 6,600 about 60 miles southwest of Chicago, is reeling from the deaths, she said. 
Hougham, Randall Scott (I8893)

2 Percy Road

on 1901 census widow boarding in Ramsgate 
Kendall, Martha (I1533)

Andrew was shown on the 1860 Coffey County, KS census in LeRoy Twp, living near his sister Lovina Hougham Carothers. He is buried in Dewitt County, IL; it is unknown when he returned to Illinois

From De Witt Gen Web Project for De Witt County, IL:

July 27, 1888
Clinton Register

Andrew HOUGHMAN was an old and much respected citizen of Long Point who had always enjoyed good health until six months ago, when he was afflicted with dropsy and gradually grew worse until his death which occurred last Wednesday. The following day his remains were consigned to the tomb in the Rock Creek church cemetery, Elder F. M. Philipps, of Heyworth, conducting the funeral. Andrew Houghman was born in Monroe county, Ind., Nov. 21, 1831, and moved with his father to this state in 1845 and settled in Long Point, near the old Alexander mill, where he spent the remainder of his life, excepting five years which he spent in Kansas. He was married to Delia ATKINSON in 1852, and lived a contented life until 1887, when death took her away. He was the father of four children, two girls and two boys, all of which were at his funeral. 
Hougham, Worley Andrew (I2259)
29 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I11132)

Born Valerie Jean Martens, July 1, 1966 to Nona Jill Martens and Gordon Louis Martens, Valerie Schultz passed from this world to the arms of her savior, Jesus Christ, on October 22, 2021. Valerie ended her incredibly courageous battle with metastatic breast cancer when she died quietly in her sleep at home in Van Meter, Iowa. Mourning her loss but celebrating her life are: her husband, Ben Schultz; her son, Caleb Schultz; her adopted daughter, Emily Lucylle Schultz (Emmie Lu); her adopted son, Riley James Schultz (RJ); her brother, Daniel Martens; her sister-in-law, Kathy Martens, and a host of other family and friends too numerous to name here.

Valerie grew up in Booneville, Iowa and attended Van Meter High School, graduating in 1984. She attended DMACC after graduation and eventually graduated from Iowa State University in 1987 with a degree in Early Childhood Education. She met her husband, Ben, at ISU and they were married January 18, 1992. In 1995, they welcomed their first son, Joshua Benjamin Schultz, and their second son, Caleb Andrew Schultz in 1999. Valerie was a passionate follower of Jesus Christ, and a homeschool mother who educated both of her biological sons from Preschool to High School graduation. She also ministered for many years to children and their families by teaching Good New Clubs with Child Evangelism Fellowship, and she and her husband were founding members of the board of the Heartland Chapter of Child Evangelism Fellowship in Urbandale, Iowa. She was known for her love of teaching children and presenting the gospel of Jesus Christ to innumerable young people at Vacation Bible School, Good News Clubs, Backyard Bible Clubs, Fair Ministries, AWANAS, Sunday School, and in her home in Des Moines. She and her husband, Ben, were foster parents from 2007 to 2018 and were blessed to adopt their beautiful daughter, Emmie Lu in 2017, and their wonderful son RJ in 2019. Valerie also had a passion for the cause of fighting human trafficking and was a co-founder of the ministry Faithful Envoy with her close friend Madelyn Plain. Valerie and Madelyn worked tirelessly to educate the public on the signs of trafficking and ways to combat it, as well as assisting the many other ministries who work in the field assisting victims of trafficking to rebuild their lives.

Valerie was preceded in death by her parents, Gordon and Jill Martens, who were tragically killed in a car accident on September 7, 2021. Also preceding her were her maternal grandparents, Everett Hougham and Lucylle (Jungman) Hougham, and her paternal grandparents, Louis Martens and Anna (Boos) Martens.

A visitation will be from 4:00 – 7:00 PM on Thursday, October 28, 2021 at Caldwell Parrish Funeral Home in Urbandale. The funeral service will be at 10:00 AM on Friday, October 29, 2021 at Des Moines Fellowship Church in Des Moines. Burial will be immediately after the funeral service at Booneville Cemetery 
Martens, Valerie Jean (I2741)

Cannot find on 1861 census

Cannot find on 1871 81 census

On 1891 census ag lab boarding at 3 Brickfields Swalecliffe

Cannot find on 1901 census

Hudson, Thomas (I15152)

cannot find on 1871 census 
Baldock, John (I19212)
33 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I17255)

Chester Clark Wyatt, 1925- (Born in Lime Springs, Howard Co., IA) quit school after grade 6 and worked on farms until he was 17 at which time he joined the Navy. He was assigned to the Sea Bees (Construction Battalion) and attached to the Marine corps. Shipped to the western Pacific theater including the Marshall, and Marianna Islands as well as lwo-Jima and Okinawa. Following the war, Chet moved to the Minneapolis, MN area and worked for a farm implement manufacturing company as a welder. Chet continued with that company when it shifted to manufacturing fork lift trucks and on through the companies acquisition by a California firm manufacturing fork lifts until his retirement.
Story telling is a cottage industry among the Wyatts. Chet is more than a master craftsman, he has made a fine art of story telling and has probably outdone his brother Howard for how far the truth may be stretched. 
Wyatt, Chester Clark (I8287)
35 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I21749)

Dallas County News Adel, Dallas Co. Iowa June 18, 1930 DEATH CAME SUDDENLY TO A. HOUGHAM Well Known Man Suffered Heart Attack While Enroute Home Following Family Reunion. DIED AT THE HOME OF MARTIN T. HOL Funeral Services Held Tuesday at the Panther Creek Church - Many Friends in Attendance. Albert Ross Hougham, resident of the vicinity of Adel for the greater part of his life, died suddenly Sunday evening while enroute to his home southwest of town after attending the annual Hougham reunion held at Riverside Park. News of his death came as a great shock to hundreds of Adel friends, as well as to the members of the family and those closely associated with him. A few hours before his death he was apparently in the best of health and spirits, strong and robust and without a thought of illness. While at the reunion he suffered a slight attack of indigestion after assisting to move a heavy bench, but it passed and little was thought of it at the time. When the family started to their home southwest of Adel however, Mr. Hougham was again stricken. While they were near the Martin T. Hol home his condition became such that a stop was made and a doctor summoned. Death came before the physician could reach the place, acute indigestion, which brought on heart trouble, being assigned the cause. The experience was a trying one for the wife, the aged father-in-law, Mr. F.E. Darling, and a son, who did every thing possible for him without avail. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the Panther Creek Church and were largely attended by old friends and neighbors. Rev. C.N. Bigelow, pastor of the Christian Church was in charge, the Masonic burial service being given by members of the Dallas Center lodge of which he was a member. Mr. Hougham had been engaged in the insurance business for the last fifteen years and for seven years has had charge of the farm department for the Hartford Fire Insurance Company. Albert Ross Hougham, son of Aaron and Sarah Hougham was born near Pleasantville in Marion County Iowa Sept. 18, 1878, and passed away June 15, 1930 age 51 years, 8 months. He moved with his parents to the Orton farm 6 miles southwest of Adel in March 1891, and has lived in this vicinity ever since with the exception of 4 years spent at Dallas Center. He was married to Florence Darling of Valley Junction, July 22, 1901 and to this union 4 sons, Floyd, Carl, Eugene, and Ralph were born. He leaves to mourn his sudden death his wife, 4 sons, 3 daughters-in-law, his aged mother, two brothers, Will of Adel and Fred of Chicago, 3 sisters: Mrs. Will Harmon and Mrs. Frances Hoopes of Adel, and Mrs. Edgar Hardin of Minburn and his father-in-law, F.E. Darling of Adel. His father preceeded him in death on October 6, 1917.

In US army enlisted 12 Sept 1918 
Hougham, Albert Ross (I2509)

DELLA HOUGHAM Request Information
SSN 361-28-7366 Residence: 61747 Hopedale, Tazewell, IL
Born 12 Jan 1888 Last Benefit:
Died Aug 1975 Issued: IL (1952 And 1953) 
Wagner, Della (I5986)

Description: Per his 25 Feb 1948 Application to "Sons of the American Revolution":
Full Name - Darnall Luther Hougham
Birthplace - Bloomington, McLean, IL
Occupation in 1948: Automotive Draftman
Military Service: WWII USNR Lt. Commander, Medical Corp, 28 Feb 1944 - 12 Mar 1946, 14 mos. overseas, 2 invasions: Lingayan Gulf & Iwo Jima
Address in 1948 - Canton, Ohio 
Hougham, Darnell Luther (I2546)

EDNA HOUGHAM Request Information
SSN 441-64-2408 Residence: 73766 Pond Creek, Grant, OK
Born 22 Nov 1888 Last Benefit:
Died Mar 1986 Issued: OK (1973) 
Hougham, Edna (I5700)

Father's name from Edwin's death certificate

On 1871 census as at school at all saints Westow Has a brother called Edward on 1871 and Arthur on 1881 census ( edward and Arthur are probably one and the same)

HUFFAM, Edwin Fisher Solley died 12 Jan 1940 aged 75 at the residence of his daughter Mrs Harold Arnott, Brookby Lodge, Strathfield
- Sydney Morning Herald 13 Jan 1940
[Strathfield is a western suburb of Sydney]

on 1930 census an accountant of Teralba NSW Australia, also living there is a Jean Huffam, perhaps a second wife? 
Huffam, Edwin Fisher Soley (I17890)

FILE - Ecclesiastical cause papers - ref. DCb/J/J/43/40 - date: 18 Mar 1623 [from Scope and Content] Plaintiff: Thos C son exor; Defendant: Bennet C rel; Steph C, Lady Eliz CLEIVE als C wid Faversham, Alice C als HUFFAM wife of Thos H Dover, Bennet C als HOGBEN wife of Thos H Ickham childn; Documents: Sent

FILE - Ecclesiastical cause papers - ref. DCb/J/J/43/39 - date: 11 Dec 1623 [from Scope and Content] Plaintiff: Thos C son exor; Defendant: Bennet C rel; Steph C, Lady Eliz CLEIVE als C wid Faversham, Alice C als HUFFAM wife of Thos H Dover, Bennet C als HOGBEN wife of Thos H Ickham childn; Documents: Alleg; Case: Test Thos CUNTRY gent (CONTRY) Bekesbourne 
Contry, Thomas (I158)

Find my past has her as Hougham and father as Edward 
Huffam, Mary (I1126)

Frank had a son John S. Hougham born 2 Feb. 1900 in Indiana. He had a grandson named Boynton Frank Moore. This Francis Marion Hougham did not serve in the Civil War from Iowa, but it is very possible that his Uncle Francis M. Hougham (born 1841) did. Judy Aikman

The following relates to a mysterious Boynton Hougham, reputedly the grandson of Frank and Lena

I believe that there was no Boynton Hougham! My father, who is still living (92), Boynton Frank Moore, was Milda Hougham Moore's first son and Frank Hougham's grandson. My father, Boynton, spent quite a bit of time with his grandparents Frank and Lena Hougham at both their "city" home in Indianapolis, Indiana and at their farm just north of the city in Madison County Indiana during the time from 1920 until Frank's death in 1940. A large part of his summers were at the farm. Lena Hougham was born in Germany and my father still remembers the German that she taught him. They, my father, Boynton, and his grandparents, Frank and Lena Hougham were very close. Perhaps neighbors thought he was actually their son at some point.
My father (Boynton), was named after his father who was Boynton John Moore and his grandfather, Frank Hougham. Boynton is such an unusual first other great grandmother, Lulu Carbaugh Moore, named her son (my grandfather Moore) after her doctor, Dr. Charles Boynton! (She gave him the middle name John after her husband and his father). Really very odd, in my opinion.
I thank my mother continuously for stopping the Moore grandparents thought she should name one of their daughters Boyntontina!!! Can you imagine? We ended up Suzanne, Judith, and Patricia...much better choices don't you think?

After sending my last lengthy reply, I realized the most likely source of the confusion about Frank Hougham having a son named Boynton...
Frank had a son-in-law named Boynton as well as a grandson named Boynton. His daughter, Milda Louise Hougham married a man named Boynton John Moore and she had a son she named Boynton Frank Moore. These families spent a lot of time together so possibly Boynton, the son-in-law, was mistaken for Frank's actual son??
Sorry, I don't mean to be so confusing. 
Hougham, Francis Marion (I6760)

Gabriel Hutchings served in the Revolutionary War. Is confirmed being atthe battle of Trenton, Princeton and Springfield. Is said to have servedat least two enlistments, with the last being from March 1782 to May1783. He applied for a pension in 1819. He was a shoemaker by trade.

Gabriel enlisted August 8, 1775 in the 4th new York Regiment. He servedto September 12, 1775. He served in the 4th New Jersey Regiment fromSeptember 13, 1776 to January 12, 1777. He served in the 4th New JerseyRegiments until January 25, 1783 where he wad discharged in New York.

On July 27, 1782 Gabriel and a Rhoda Hutchins were administrators of theestate of Levy Holloway of Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.Bondsmen for the will was Joseph Winget and the witness was Joseph Lewis,all of Morristown. (Rhoda Holloway-Hutchings was the first wife ofGabriel Hutchings.) They had at least one child (Mary) who was born inNJ on January 3, 1782.

On September 12, 1795 Gabriel had a letter in the Cincinnati NorthwestTerritory post office. He is in the 1799 census of NW Territory inCincinnati. On November 19, 1819 he applied for a pension and it wasapproved on July 17, 1820. He was 5 feet, 10 1/2 inches tall. In the1820 census he was living in Butler County, OHio and in 1830 he wasliving in Fayette County, IN.

Gabriel was confirmed by the DAR as being buried in Fayette County, IN inBurke's Cemetery. The cemetery is in the middle of a farmer's corn fieldwith very few stone remaining. Gabriel's stone is one of the missing.Directions to the cemetery are:

From Connersville, IN, take State #1 South*, turn left on Alquina Roadand go southeast down road 350. At Road 350E go north to CharlieWeiler's house -- first house on right side on hill. Burke Cemebery isin field past the house.

*Cross bridge and immediately turn right following #1 South (Vine Street)5 blocks. As soon as you pass the IN Police Post take the first left(Alquina Road). The first 4 way intersection is Road 200 and the nextintersection is Road 350E. (This is approximately 3.1 miles after youturned onto Alquina Road). At the intersection of Road 350E, turn leftand Charlie Weiler's farm is the first and only farmhouse on the rightside of the road at the top of the hill.

Lydia Hutchings is said to have died and been buried in Franklin County,IN. I have checked with the Franklin Co. Court House and library andhave found no record of a death or burial. I was told that there were noHutchings, Hinkles, Payton, Mulkins, etc. in Franklin Co at the time ofher death. I feel strongly she probably died in Fayette County (sinceshe died only a few months after Gabriel's and was probably buried nextto him and the stones have just eroded away.

From an article found in Montgomery County, Indiana regarding JohnHutchings (grandson to Gabriel) regarding Gabriel: "Gabriel Hutchingswas a native of Connecticut and served seven years and seven months inthe Revolutionary War. He was severely wounded and bruised in anengagement with Indians. He lay in an unconscious condition for a longperiod. During his sickness he was nursed by a widow lady whose husbandhad been killed by the Aborigines and upon his recovery he married her."

Another article: "The immediate ancestors of John Hutchings were nativesof the "sunny south", but the founders of the Hutchings family in Americawere Welshmen. They were people of rugged honesty of character,intelligent and industrious and emigrated to the New World not only tomake their fortunes but because of the true liberty and independence theymight there enjoy. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Hutchings, Gabriel,bravely served seven years and six months the privations, sacrifices andsuffering shared by the noble patriots of those troublesome days. Peacehaving been declared the veteran soldier returned to home and family andthere resumed the even tenor of his ways." 
Hutchings, Gabriel (I7578)

George Byron Wyett , 1904-1930, (Born in Olive Branch, IL)(Buried in Lime Springs, Mftchell Co., IA) worked as a farm labourer until a kidney injury as a result of a fall on a grain combine (harvester) in South Dakota fatally turned gangrenous. 
Wyatt, George Byron (I8274)
46 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I28945)

Publication Date: December 28, 1990
Source: The Des Moines Register
Page: 5M
Region: Iowa
Obituary: JUNCTION, IA. -- Services for Doris D. Stevens of Grand Junction will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Hastings Funeral Home in Perry; burial will be in Violet Hill Cemetery there. Mrs. Stevens, 59, died of a heart attack Tuesday at home.
Born in Boone County, she was a resident treatment worker at the Woodward State Hospital School and moved to Grand Junction in
1975. She was a member of Grand Junction United Methodist Church and Women of the Moose at Perry.
Survivors include her husband, Ora; four sons, Tim and Ora Jr., both of Fort Dodge, George Hougham of Rippey and Wayne Hougham of Jefferson; three daughters, Willa Gay Dwinell of Grand Junction, Bonnie Ikerd of Perry and Ruby Weigle of Otley; two brothers, Lyle Conklin of Odgen and Richard Conklin of Clear Lake; two sisters, Dee Johnson of Berkeley and Beverly Williams of Perry; 14 grandchildren; and five grandchildren.
Friends may call after 9 a.m. today at the funeral home, where the family will be present from 7 to 9 p.m. 
Conklin, Doris (I6255)

Howard Taft Wyatt, 191 1 - 1991, (Born in Monona Co., IA) left school in his early teens to help on his father's farm and in his hay making business. He became well known in the region for his skill at hand picking corn. Soon after marrying in 1933, he rented a farm of his own and in 1940 bought a 66 acre 'wasteland', one of the rare wooded hilly areas in that part of Iowa, a perfect place for Howard to enjoy hunting 'coon' (Raccoon) and fishing. Howard also bought a saw mill. With the mill, he and his brother Ole sawed logs previously cut off the land into lumber to build a small house. Howard and his wife Marcella raised five children in that little house. He added several small parcels of farm land to eventually total 140 acre. For many years, Howard was also employed as Constable for the small city of Riceville, IA. 
Wyatt, Howard Taft (I8278)

In 1911 census an unnamed boy is recorded with birthplace Blaby

on 1939 register Hosiery stock keeper of 26 Lancaster Place Leicester 
Hougham, Gerald Vane (I10119)
50 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I10150)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 139» Next»