Pratt, Rose Winnifred

Female 1914 - 2011  (96 years)

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Pratt, Rose Winnifred 
    Born 29 Nov 1914  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died 2011 

    • Some random notes I don't want to lose, so will put here until I find a better place for them.
      June 12, 1978. I am going to Virginia next week with Boughan's, where they want to do some genealogy research on Si's lines, whose's ancestors came from there many years ago. We went in a 72 Camper Van and had a 14' travel trailer with supplies so we would'nt have to stop in motels and would do most of our own cooking. Leonard and Robert didn't go as they were working.
      Clinton and I returned from our mission in Peru on the 29th of Aug 1986.
      Clinton and I went on our mission to Mexico, which was from 1 Oct 1981 to 1 Oct 1982. Our first six weeks were spent at the missionary training center in Provo and we were sent to Caborca on the 8th of Dec. 1981. We were there several months, then sent to Guaymas on the 30th of June 1982 where we were the remainder of our mission.
      In 1987 we visited Schultz's in Indianapolis, Indiana. Jack and Betty were there too. Jack was helping build the garage into bedrooms, etc.
      I was set apart as the Visiting Teacher Coordinator on the Relief Society board on Tuesday, Sept 1, 1987.
      June 19, 1992. A thank you note from Linda, for the quilting I had done on the quilt for a home decorating shop.
      About 1992 we visited Hurley and Elaine in Calif.
      15 Jan 1993. I was asked to be the assistant Sunday School teacher of the Gospel Doctrine class and give the lesson every other week. Brother Hudson was the regular teacher and had been called to another position, and asked to be released from the SS class. They told me they would get someone else to take the class every other week if I liked. I said no, I thought I could do it each week, and taught it seven years before I moved to Oasis St.
      30 June 1994 Trip to Redmesa. We left Mesa about 1:30 p.m. and counted about 557 miles to LaVerne's place, and used around 18 1/2 gallons of gas. (at about $1.10-1.22 per gallon.)
      Sunday, 30 July 30, 1995 we were in Aurora Colorado visiting Dan and Lois and their family.
      July 7, 1994. Dad, myself and LaVerne went to the Redmesa reunion from
      LaVerne's. We got to her place July 6, and returned July 8.
      Dec. 1994. From Albuquerque, NM. Nice Thanksgiving- lovely dinner prepared by Mom for Jim. (A rush trip for Jim and Stephanie's wedding which was the 23rd of November, 1994.)
      18 Feb 1998. I was set apart as the teacher in the Gospel Doctrine Class in the new Centerview Ward. I had been teaching the class for several years in the Mesa 2nd Ward, a total of about 8 years in the two wards.
      Thursday, Oct 22, 1998. A trip to the Pratt Reunion in SLC and to visit Linda and family and see their new home in Spanish Fork, Utah. Carol and I left Mesa for Heber, and stayed with Dawna and Frank overnight. There Dawna and Wendy joined us and we went on in Dawna's Van via Holbrook, ((rigt large N. I 40 and N on 77) thru the Navajo Indian Reservation (Turn R onto 15) Mini Farms and Chinley to the Four Corners, to Bluff, Blanding and Monticello, Utah #191.

      Winnifred Joan Monrad and Marian Kathleen Monrad were sealed to, and I married to, Lewis Clinton Burnham on 18 Sep 1940.

      I am grateful for a mother who wrote my history from my birth until about 12 years of age. I will start this story with a few of the experiences of my life over the first 3-4 years, where my memory doesn’t go.

      Our home was on a ranch near Bingham, in the mountains near Salt Lake City. My father had been sick and went to his mother’s place in the city. My mother went in to nurse him, and on Saturday, the 28th of November, feeling better, he left for the ranch. About 10:30 that night, mother called for Nurse Leatham to come. About 5:40 in the morning, Sunday November 29, 1914, I was born, into a cold, snowy world. The nurse stayed until about 8 a.m., and on leaving said she would call mother’s sister Lottie to come and take care of us. She forgot to call, and about 11 a.m. Sister Silver, the Relief Society President came to see how things were. She found no fire or breakfast, and quickly got a fire going and breakfast for the mother and two older sisters, and called Aunt Lottie, who came and took over as quickly as possible. I was 10 days old before my father saw me, and he left again the next morning.

      On the 30th of December my father came to take us back to the ranch. He left with the loaded wagon at 7 a.m. and mother started soon after on the Murray car. Aunt Lottie had come on the 6 a.m. bus to help get the three children to Midvale by 9 am, to meet my father. It was bitter cold, but by her going on the car, it saved about 14 miles of the slow open drive in the horse drawn wagon. Friends of the Canon Ward had brought a wool bed quilt for us to wrap up in, in the wagon. We got to Midvale by 9 o’clock, but my father didn’t arrive until 11 a.m. We had 19 more miles to go.

      Quoting from my book: “The snow lay deep on the ground with a sparkling top coat of frost, dazzling in the sun across the open stretch of country as far as the eye could see, and a keen breeze made the air bitter cold. Our cow was at Murray. Papa got out to get her and he walked 16 miles to drive her and keep warm. So I had to drive and try to keep my babies covered too. At 2 o’clock we turned into a ranch house and asked to get warm and for me to make you dry and comfortable. They gave us all a drink of warm milk. We could not remain many minutes. From then on the horses just crawled along. All three of you settled to sleep for a little way, for your next little sister was but a baby of 17 months old, and big sister Effie but 4 years. You and Marian were in my arms and Effie leaning across me. I couldn’t make the horses go, nor could I very well keep you all covered. But all disagreeable things have an end, and our ride did about 8 p.m. We were cold, tired, and hungry, and thankful to have beds and shelter for the night.”

      Another quote, from our ranch life: “When Papa is gone three nights of the week and we are alone with the stock, miles from everybody, I depend almost entirely on the milk for our food, so I must get the cows. We don’t feed them much, so they wander a long way up and Canyon and even when they don’t go so far, they are in the rugged oak shrubs, and it is difficult to find and drive them, besides the climbing up and down of mountain and Canyon. I was afraid to leave you three babies home unguarded, or to leave you with a fire for warmth, or without a fire to warm you. So I mostly took you along in my arms, and the others dragging beside, sometimes little Marian on my back, and sometimes either Effie or I carrying a gun of about 8 lbs. Weight. Of course you did not know any thing of this, but you were at times very spunky, and increased our difficulty many fold.”

      It was several moths before I was blessed, and received my name officially. Another quote: “We lived miles from the nearest meetinghouse and 33 from our own Ward. The snow stayed in the mountains long after the city and plains were clear, so it was months before we could get out to have you blessed. On June 6th it was a beautiful morning, the snow gone except still capping the mountain tops higher up, the sun shining on hill sides carpeted with flowers of all colors, although mostly blue and yellow. As the crow flies we lived 7 miles from Bingham, but we had to drive in almost a complete circle to get there, going as far from it at first to circle round canyons and railroad embankments to get there. We decided it was the nearest place to go. At 8 a.m. we all started in the light wagon with both horses, it was our first outing since leaving the city with you. We arrived at the home of the Bishop at 1:15 p.m., and then found that there was no meeting until evening, as the miners worked all day Sunday. But Bishop J. R. Wright of Bingham Ward, Jordan Stake, and Papa officiated. Papa blessed you. You cried for me the whole time, drowning Papa’s voice. You had never seen anyone but us, and very little of Papa. The Bishop’s wife served us with cake and a drink, but you would not be appeased. We left at 2 p.m., reaching home again at 7 p.m.”

      “About this same time Papa had traded our Salt Lake property for some at Lehi. He needed me to go to the city to sign the deeds, so before daylight one morning we got up and drove from the ranch to Murray, for me to catch the 10:30 interurban train. I took you on the train with me, leaving Papa and the two girlies to wait in Murray for my return. No doubt the cold air of our early mountain drive filled you with colic, added to that your natural spunky disposition, plus your fear of strangers. You just screamed every bit of the way when I boarded the train. I paced up and down the rear of the car with you, to no avail. Passengers watched; some looked cross, some pitiful. One lady came to us when we reached the city and as we got off she put her hand kindly on my shoulder and said, “Poor baby, poor Mother”. These four words and kindly action almost caused me to break right down. The little business I had come to do was prolonged by your crying, just long enough for me to miss my return car, so I had two hours to kill time with you, then got back to Papa by 3 p.m., oh so tired, but you asleep at last. All the lunch was eaten, so I had to go hungry until we got home at 7 p.m.”

      Later, after we had moved into a house: “ I had a peculiar experience. It had no windows and was on marshy ground, very undesirable. I was worried and almost ill, we were almost destitute. One evening at dusk I laid you down in bed, then put Effie and Marian in the other bed, wheeled your buggy out of the room, then came and laid down beside you, not to sleep, but think. In a little while a very bright light entered the room, came around by the foot of the beds and stopped. It showed me the baby buggy with my baby in it - dead. My beds almost filled the room, there was just room to walk between the two of them. I knew I had wheeled the buggy out and laid you all in bed, yet there was the buggy plain enough. There was no train, or vehicle, or even a window to a street to cause that light, and I was wide awake. I felt beside me; you were there. I felt across in the other bed, Effie and Marian were there. All were sleeping. Then I went to feel the buggy, but as I put my hand there, it went into space and the light disappeared. That meant something to me. My Heavenly Father was speaking. I pondered over it. In the morning I looked at my babies and saw what in my anxiety of events I had not noticed. My two little babies were faded to shadows. No wonder you were cross and fretty, and wee Marian quietly drooping. I had been anxious about Marian, and had arranged for a quart of mild a day for her, as our cow was dry. We had no money and scant poor food supply.
      I had you continually nursing at my breast day and night, wearing me out, yet never satisfied. I saw. I went at once and arranged for another quart of milk daily for you. It was none too much, but from then on you both began to get well and build up. So our Father in Heaven was very kind to speak to me like that.” - - - “After a few weeks Bishop Fjeld came and moved us into a better house. Now I found that under these better conditions you were as sweet and pretty and happy as any other wee girlie I ever knew. You crawled about contentedly, and though not walking, yet you climbed lots. Sometimes you fell, other times you cried to be lifted from your dangerous places. Your little gums got swollen with hard blue blisters and your teeth wanted to come but couldn’t. You suffered severely for weeks, until I finally got a razor and carefully lanced them. At once you had a row or pearly teeth. A letter came from Papa one day asking me to mail the gun to him. I emptied it as I supposed and took it to the Post Office.
      They told me to take it home and take it apart and wrap in sackcloth. I went back and with you sitting in your buggy beside me, proceeded to take it apart. Right in line of you, I opened it, a deafening report sounded by me, a room full of smoke or lime dust, a fall of dust from the ceiling onto you. For one second I was dazed, then I realized. There was a hole in the roof. You were safe, but how near to death only your guardian angel knew. I had never had your baby picture taken, as of the others. These incidents made me eager to have it done, so I took you with your sisters and got one done.”

      Mother’s health got worse, and Aunt Lottie came from California to take care of us. After a long illness she was a little stronger and the doctor told her that she needed to be in a warmer climate in order to live, not expecting her to live long enough to reach Arizona, where she determined to go. The Lord helped her, and we left Utah in August of 1916, arriving in some of the worst summer heat. Mother called the stake president, Pres.
      LeSueur, who took us to a place where we could live until we got situated in our own place, in North Evergreen. Mother wrote that Papa came to visit us a few days at the end of October, and I didn’t know him.

      Here is where my earliest memories start. Evergreen Acres is now the area around University to 8th Street, and Center Street to about Grand Ave or the next one west, in Mesa. I was a little less than two years of age when we moved from Salt Lake City where I was born, to Mesa, in August 1916. Our house was on the 2nd acre west of Center Street, probably on what would now be 8th Street, on the north side of the road. Walter and Paul Jones lived in the house east of us, on the corner lot, and the neighbors on the west were named Carter, we called the man Grandpa Dooley Carter. He and his wife came over one evening when a big summer storm was in progress. I was sitting on neighbor grandpa Carter’s lap, telling him some sort of long story, (unusual for me,) when lightening flashed and a loud clap of thunder crashed through the room. I was scared and thought he must have had something to do with it, and the story was suddenly ended. I wouldn’t say another word.

      I remember one day my mother was hanging out washing in our fenced in back yard where she kept a mean milk cow. I stepped through the fence to go out to her, and the cow came running at me, caught me between her two horns, and ran me into the fence, winding me. Mother came running to my rescue, chased the cow away, and helped me into the house, where I was fine except for a few small scrapes.

      Another evening a neighbor was in our front yard with my father and his motor cycle, checking out the ignition system, or something they wanted to refine or fix. The grass was quite dry under foot, and when they tried to start it up, it sparked, the sparks fell on the dry grass, starting a small blaze, which began to spread. They got down rolling around to put it out, and the neighbor’s beard caught fire, which had to be put out. The fires on the beard and grass were quickly extinguished, but we children watching, thought it a great joke, laughing at the antics of the poor fellow.

      On Sunday’s we walked a little over a mile to the First Ward Chapel, on Center Street about half a block south of Main St. Bishop Isaac Dana was the Bishop, and his wife Fanny, a dear soul and friend to all.

      When I was about 3 ½ years old, on the 8th of June 1918, I had a baby brother enter the family. They named him Nephi Hurley, Nephi for my father Nephi, and Hurley for my mother, her maiden name.

      I loved to climb, and would climb to the top of just about anything available, then would not see how I could get down, and would scream for help. I don’t remember this particular incident, but mother tells that once when the stake and ward Relief Society officers had come to have a prayer circle for her, I climbed a chicken wire on a shed, then when about 6 feet high, screamed to be helped down. I guess I was too young to be embarrassed over it.

      I have always loved flowers. I remember one day I saw a lot of poppy petals that had fallen to the ground. Wanting to prolong their beauty, I picked a lot of them up and arranged them into little four petaled flowers along the row.

      In 1919 mother had been ill and Aunt Lottie came to help. It was decided we would go back to Utah where Aunt Lottie could help, where she had good work as a dressmaker and seamstress. In June when Hurley was a year old, we went to Salt Lake City where we stayed with my grandparents a few weeks until my mother could get a home for us on Garfield Ave., about 11-13 blocks from where my grandparents lived.

      Aunt Daisy came to stay with us a few weeks that fall. My cousin Alton Merkley was about a year younger than myself, and we played and fought together, but enjoyed each other. On the 2nd of Oct. Aunt Daisy had a little baby brother for Alton to play with. They named him Darrell. We celebrated Alton’s birthday on the 16th, and they left for their home in Idaho soon after.

      The cold weather came. One morning when we got up, we found the water pipes had frozen. Effie and Marian were at school, so mother sent me to Grandpa’s to borrow a blowtorch to help thaw out the pipes. I got it OK and started home, clutching it in my arms. The streets were covered with snow and ice. Stepping down from the curb to cross the street near a service station, I slipped and fell into the snow bank and was struggling to get up with my load, when one of the men working at the Service Station came and helped me up and offered to take me home in the company pickup. I thankfully accepted his offer, and at home they got the water running again.

      Spring of 1920 came. Aunt Lottie took us on walks to nearby places, to Liberty Park, or other places. In the summer we went to the park to watch the fireworks displays and celebrate summer activities. We also had rides on the merry-go-round, boat rides and other fun things.
      On Sunday’s we went to the new Wells Ward. I remember the first Sunday there, when all the older people marched out to go to their classes after the opening exercises, I sat there watching everyone I knew go out of the room, leaving me feeling like a complete stranger entirely alone. The class teacher finally got us interested in something, and it wasn’t too bad. My older sister finally came and got me when time to go home.

      Mother’s doctor told her that she couldn’t stand another winter in Utah, so she decided to move back to Mesa. September came and the deal hadn’t been finalized, so I started school, going with Marian, who had started the year before, to the Whittier School. Before the end of the month we left for Mesa, getting there on the first of October, in what seemed like real summer heat. I started in the first grade at the Irving school, only a few blocks from our home, which was at 120 North Morris St.

      Aunt Daisy had told us that she would send us a Christmas tree from their ranch in Idaho, but it didn’t get to us until the day after Christmas. In the mean time, we got a green bush and decorated it and had a wonderful Christmas, with a great make-do tree.

      In 1921 around the first of the year, they formed a new ward, the Third, and we were transferred from the First to the new Third Ward. They were remodeling the old tabernacle building they had formerly used for a tabernacle for the two wards, to make a new building for the Third Ward to meet in. Until it was ready for us to use, we met in the building that later was called the Mezona, a huge building on Main Street a little east of North Morris St. where we lived. I remember not only going to church meetings there, but also to bazaars, conferences, and other entertainments. The building was later used as a dance hall, where in our later teen years we went to the Friday night dances, which were the biggest and best attended dances in the entire metropolitan area. Young people came from all the towns around, including Phoenix. We had a live dance band and lots of fun. Later we also went to a Saturday night dance at the Fourth Ward, or Alma Ward, but it was not nearly as good. It was held outdoors on the large cement “Sunday parking lot” and basketball court other days, waxed up slick.

      To get back to the 1920’s, they got our Third Ward building made over, and we enjoyed many activities there for the next several years, besides our church meetings. At school I took part in a May Day program, also in one at the church.

      In February 1922 Grandma and Grandpa made plans to build two rooms on the front of our house so they could spend most of their winters in our wonderful climate. Their kitchen area was on the north side of the house, and the bedroom and bath on the south side, with a porch in between, with a front door into our house in the porch part.

      On the first of April our Ward went on a big picnic on the desert south of Gilbert or Chandler. This was an annual event, going out east near Double Knolls or Twin Buttes one year, and other desert locations. It was always a lot of fun, with picnic lunches and games and sports and even a little hiking.

      We all loved to go swimming. In July after such a day at the pool, I had a high fever that night, and by the next night my neck was swollen like mumps. It was treated for mumps, but it did not respond.

      In June Uncle Lavern and Aunt Daisy had moved to Mesa with their family. On the 4th of July Uncle Lavern took us all to the river for a picnic, and that evening we had some fire-
      Works. Four months later the swelling on my neck was still resisting treatment.

      In November 1922 I turned eight years old, and we went to the 2nd Ward for the baptismal date on the 2nd of December. There were several of us to be done, including the Westover twins and one or two others. We got to the 5 o’clock appointment, and there was no one there to perform the baptisms. While waiting there, one of the group mentioned that some of the priest youth were at the school grounds nearby playing ball, and maybe they could get one of them to come and perform the baptisms. Someone went there, and got Elijah Cecil Allen, who came readily and performed the ceremonies. It was a cold day, and it was hurriedly done, no service was held. On the next day, Sunday the 3rd, Brother Frank T. Pomeroy confirmed me at church.

      The Merkley family spent Christmas day with us, and we went there for New Year. Following Christmas the others all got mumps but I didn’t, yet I still had the big swelling.

      In 1923 Aunt Nellie, with our cousin Martha, came to visit us in the spring, spending February with us. Our cousin Darrell was having problems, and had to be taken to the hospital. Later he went to the Primary Children’s hospital in Salt Lake City, and spent many months there, trying to help a situation with his back. In May I was able to help in the spring school program in braiding the Maypole. In the summer we went swimming in the canal, when Uncle Lavern took us to the big Arizona Eastern Canal. We also swam often in the smaller canal near to home, from which the water in the ditch back of our yard came, sometimes walking to the big irrigation water pump that brought icy cold water straight out of the ground into a shallow cement lined passage into the canal, and it didn’t take long to get cooled off and return home. A number of times we walked over to the temple grounds where we watched the progress of the building of the temple, sometimes taking food and having a picnic nearby. At Halloween we had a big costume party, with a houseful of neighbors and friends, and had a real good time.

      In November of 1923, after 18 months, my neck was still obstinately resisting treatment. Dr Brown wanted to lance it, but mother didn’t want to have it cut, so she had me administrated to again. Brother Pomeroy blessed me that it would get well and the trouble entirely leave my system. However, in the meantime it was drawing up into one place, but was like a row of baseballs from one ear almost completely to the other. Mother thought that a chiropractor might be able to help my neck condition clear up, and she felt like after a few treatments he began to bring the lumps from the inside out.

      March of 1924, when on the Stake picnic to the desert west of Chandler, we all went and had a good time, except that riding on the back of the large truck we rode on going and coming, my neck got a real painful bump, which hurt most of the afternoon. By that time it had burst in four different places, and “was a frightful looking neck.” It was also a painful process to change the bandages that would stick overnight, and have to be soaked loose the next morning. I always appreciated it when Marian had the assignment of taking care of it in the morning, because she was so gentle and took plenty of time to do it as painlessly as possible.

      On April 22, 1924, Effie gave a spring entertainment of her own composition, by and at Primary, with 35 girls participating. She gave me a special part, and the program was presented on one of my “chiropractor visit” days. The doctor’s quarters were in the basement area of the Phelps Hotel. I always disliked going down into the gloomy waiting room that had only one small window up near the ceiling level, and listening to a non understandable droning sound of the doctor’s voice in the room next door, talking to another patient. There I waited my turn, for a very miserable process of “press a bone and jerk” a few times here and there along my backbone, and when he was finished I never stayed to ask any questions or wait for any talking, but left as quickly as possible.

      On the program day, my visit seemed extra slow, and I was worried that I would be late for my part on the program, so rushed off and hurried as quickly as I could, and when I reached the church, there was a good primary teacher there with my costume, waiting to help me get it on quickly, as it was getting near the time when they would have had to let someone else perform if I hadn’t come when I did. Thank goodness for a happy ending. Mother’s comment was that the program was so well done that they asked Effie to give it again for Mother’s day, which she did, and mother attended it.

      Quoting: “May 20, 1924, I was taken for consultation to Dr. Shupe of Phoenix, who was a member of the LDS Church. Naturally he said that a chiropractor could not cure my neck. He took a blood test and said indications of active TB, but it could be eradicated. He prescribed for me, and would later inject a serum. The prescription was filled and I took it along with the chiropractic treatment, and further administration and we did not return for serum. At this time my lip had swollen suddenly like my neck, and although the four large places had healed on my left neck, the right had an ugly lump and hole going very slowly away, and I was truly very miserable. But it was no doubt a final effort to throw off the last of the poison. Immediately after being administered to the swelling began to go down, and before 12 hours had elapsed, my lip was natural again.” During all this time, we were still living a good, active life.

      Several times we went for a picnic to the old Indian Ruins, just west of North Country Club and about ? The Seminary had one time when they went there for someone to do a little excavating, but nothing was continued about it at that time.

      Mother was on the Stake Genealogical Board. At their genealogy union meeting (as they called their stake meetings then,} our family demonstrated a Home Evening program. I helped sing in a round with Effie and Marian. Later, in August, the night session of the quarterly conference was given to the genealogical society, and we again demonstrated the “Home Evening”, with Marian and I singing a duet while Effie played the music for us. During the summer Effie treated us all to the picture show on Marian’s birthday, to see “A Boy of Flanders” with Jackie Coogan. (The big hit of the time.).

      Sept 15, 1924. “At last your neck is healed, but it is badly scarred.”

      In the latter part of September Uncle Phil paid us a visit, and in October Hurley broke his leg. On my birthday, I had a surprise party with some of my friends. After having another good Christmas, we were ready to start a new year, 1925.

      Something I have never forgotten was when in March we had our home dedicated to the Lord. Brother M.A. Stewart, a high counselor in the ward, and Bishop Leigh Clark and Brother Hostetter, our block (home) teacher all attended. We had a nice evening.

      I always enjoyed our physical education classes, and liked to participate in the sports. I was better at running than high jump or broad jump, and was in individual races as well as relays.

      To celebrate Marian’s birthday this year, we went to the river with the two Merkley families for a moonlight picnic. Uncle Lavern’s brother and family had moved to Mesa by now, and we were acquainted with their family.

      In August we went to a genealogical convention at Iron’s Ranch, between Superior and Miami. While the adults were attending their meetings, we young people were hiking and climbing nearby hills and gullies, having a great time. On the second day, we got up early at about daybreak, and took a packed breakfast, hiking to some large high rocks. The sun rose as we were eating breakfast, which was the start of a great day. While hiking, I got a big thorn stuck deeply into my big toe, but someone managed to get it out for me. We traveled with the Millett family. They had a daughter named Ethel, who was near my age, and we later became good friends when we both went to high school together. They had moved into our Ward by that time.

      In 1926 Mother got some lumber and had a new room built on the north side of the house, back of where Grandma and Grandpa’s kitchen had been built. It was good to have a nice new girl’s bedroom.

      Mrs. Houston, a neighbor, knew that Effie loved to play the piano, and offered her music lessons in exchange for some help with housework. Effie offered the lessons to Marian, and Mrs. Huston accepted, but said she would like to still give Effie lessons too. Effie liked to practice on her own, and turned the lessons over to me, and I helped clean house for Mrs. Houston each Saturday morning and enjoyed learning to play the piano. Later I tended babies a couple of hours two evenings a week for Ruby LeSueur, in exchange for piano lessons from her, after we moved to South Mesa Drive. Mother was working in the temple office by that time, and needed to be closer to the Temple. Later, a neighbor moved, and gave mother a violin that she no longer wanted. Mother asked if I would like to learn to play the violin, and I was able to start taking the class for beginners at the Franklin School, while in the 8th grade, in 1927.

      Back to 1926. In December Marian and I went with the Seminary to the Superstition Mountain, where we climbed and had a good outing. In March 1927, our little cousin, Theona Merkley, became ill, and after a couple weeks of suffering, she died. As I remember it, most of our family had gone on our annual stake picnic to the desert, and when we returned home, found that she had passed away during that day.

      May 1927. Our sewing teacher wanted us to learn how to darn stockings, so she offered two prices for the best two samples from the class. We had to darn a hole over an inch each way. I had already had quite a lot of practice darning stockings, and it wasn’t too hard for me to do. I won second place, and was given a marble painted egg-darner, a packet of needles, and a box of six small spools of colored thread. Quite a nice reward.

      May 26, 1927. We are nearing the end of the school year, when I graduated from the 8th grade, and started as a freshman at high school the next year. I believe it was Effie who made my dress for graduation. It was of white voile, and Aunt Daisy did some beautiful bead embroidery on it, which made it very special. I was also privileged to dance in the French Minuet dance with seven others, on the graduation program.

      Uncle Phil and Aunt Peggy had moved to Mesa for his health. He had developed TB from problems stemming from his time in the army in the World War in 1918. It finally got to where he was sent to the hospital at Whipple Barracks at Prescott. Grandma and Grandpa rented a two-room cottage to be near him so they could visit him each day, and do what they could to cheer him up. My music teacher, Mrs. Houston, and her husband were going to Prescott to see after cattle he had pasturing near there, and offered to take me to stay with my grand-parents for a week, when they would be returning and could take me home. I went, and it was a lovely place and time of year to be there, and I enjoyed it, but got so very home-sick, that when they returned and told me I could stay a week longer if I wished, my mother had said it would be all right, and they would be back the next week to get me, I said “no thank you, I have enjoyed it very much, thank you for bringing me, but feel like I need to go home now.” (Or words to that effect.)

      In July 1927 I also went with Uncle Lavern and Aunt Daisy and family to Superstition Mountain and camped out over-night. We climbed up a little way, but the middle of July isn’t for too much outdoor activity in our climate, and we didn’t climb very far, but still had a good time.

      In October the temple was completed and ready to open for temple work for the living and the dead. I was able to attend one of the dedication services in one of the rooms inside of the temple. I have attended several temple dedications since then, mostly going to a stake center or Ward building where it was shown via modern electronic methods, but not actually inside the temple itself. It is a great privilege to attend such an event in our modern method when not possible to be at the temple itself, but what a privilege to be inside the first time, at home. I also got a recommend to go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead. My mother had family names of some of our ancestors or their relatives, and we were able to do this work for them.

      Quoting: “Uncle Phil left the hospital and came to stay with us. He was very ill and needed our company and cheer. Aunt Peggy also came to our house until she could find one for her family. About this time Uncle Fred and his family moved from California and got a home in Tempe. Grandma and Grandpa came home again and stayed with Uncle Fred in Tempe for a while. These were surely busy and anxious times. About Thanksgiving time we trimmed our trees and had a bonfire, roasted wieners and marshmallows. Uncle Phil told Scout stories. Soon Uncle Phil and Aunt Peggy moved into a home of their own. At Christmas we had a family get together at our home, and were able to take some group pictures, knowing that some of us would likely not spend another Christmas together. Before long Uncle Phil gave up is house and came back to stay with us, needing the company and cheer. Shortly after this, he had to be taken back to Whipple Barracks Hospital for more help, and to await his end. Death released him on 13 May 1928. We missed him and were sad to lose him, but were grateful his suffering ceased.”
      Grandpa and Grandma had gone to Utah to stay with Aunt Lottie when Uncle Phil was taken to Utah for burial. Mother had a new 2 room plus bath cottage built in the back of our lot on Mesa Drive for them. When they returned they spent most of their last days enjoying their little home, where Grandma could walk to and from the temple, and did many names before she passed on.

      Marian and I both participated in the Olympic Day at school.

      Mother decided to sell our home and get a new one nearer the Temple, where she worked in the office six days a week. She bought a lot from a Sister Naegle on South Mesa Drive, and had a contractor build our new home, with us helping do what we could. I remember doing a lot of nailing up laths after the wall studs had been put in place, and also painted the outside walls after it was done.

      I went to my freshman year of high school from 120 N. Morris, and the new home was about ready for us to move into when school was out. We made a number of trips taking small stuff in the wagon, maybe skating over sometimes, preparatory to making the big move. Uncle Fred was also building in Phoenix about this time, and we went several times to see his place.

      On Feb 9, 1929, I received my patriarchal blessing from Brother Nash, whom mother had known in Australia when he was there on his mission before she came to America.

      In our new location there were many young people near our ages, and we enjoyed being there, and being in the 2nd Ward. One friend who lived near us was Voilet Kleinman. However, a little before the end of our sophomore year, she became suddenly ill and died in the hospital. I took her annual around to have her friends sign, to give her mother as a keepsake of that school year. Some other new friends we met about my sophomore or junior year in high school were the Stradling’s. One day Hurley asked me if I had met the Stradling girls, who had recently moved in across the street? I hadn’t. He said, “You need to get acquainted. It’s a great family, and there are two girls about your age.” Later, after I had met Zola and Lottie Stradling, they told me their brother’s Louis and Haskell had said the same thing to them about our family. We were close friends for many years, sharing many experiences.

      The summer of 1929 I filled a Bee Hive cell by canning fruit entirely alone, also filling cells in many other areas, including practicing the piano for 50 or more hours in any one month, and one by practicing the piano for the amount of time my teacher had set for me, for the full month. I think Ruby had asked me to practice 2 hours daily during the summer months.

      This summer I spent a few day’s at the MIA summer camp at Sulphide del Rey near Globe, with the 2nd Ward girls. I left early morning Saturday the 10th of August, riding with the McQueens in the big provision truck they were driving. Sister McQueen was one of our supervisors for our stay, and we loved her dearly. She was a great person. We called her Queenie. We had a lot of fun, hiking and other activities.

      In August of 1929 I earned a few dollars staying with Uncle Fred and Aunt Nellie’s children in Phoenix for a week while they were on a trip. Grandma and Grandpa were in the cottage Uncle Fred had built for them in their yard all the time too, but we got along fine without needing to call on them for help.

      In September 1928 I started my sophomore year in high school, and Zola Stradling was in my grade and Lottie a freshman that year. I’m quite sure it was 1928, because I was in a geometry class and Lottie was in an algebra class that Miss Riggs taught, the same Miss Riggs who had been my arithmetic teacher in grade school. The teachers decided to have an arithmetic competition between the two classes, and Lottie told me that Miss Riggs had said they would have to do their best, because she knew that Rose Pratt was in that class and she had taught her in the 8th grade and knew she was good. We had the competition, and our class did come out ahead.

      In our junior year, Ethel Millet’s family moved into our Ward, and she was in our class, and became another choice member of the group.
      In my senior year I took a Journalism class from Mr. Southern, a very popular teacher. I was mostly involved in helping put out the school paper, and Zola was in the same class, but more involved in helping prepare the class annual for publication. We all enjoyed that class. We graduated from High School in May 1931, having had a good year. I had taken business classes rather than preparing for some other field of work, because I had always known that I didn’t want to be a schoolteacher or a nurse, and those were the main choices we had then.

      This was during the time of the big depression. I was home for some time, looking for work, and occasionally doing some office work for a neighbor who had a home business besides working at the Temple, or other odd jobs, sometimes typing patriarchal blessings for a Brother Pomeroy. During this time at home, there were a number of times when some hungry person would come by, asking for something to eat. I would ask him to perform some chore outdoors while I prepared a sandwich or bowl of soup etc., and then give them their food to eat outdoors and be on their way.

      Zola had gotten a job as cashier at the J C Penney store some time after school was out, when a member of our Ward, Mr. Linford B. Werne, was the manager. After working a year or two, she married Glen Stallings and moved to New Mexico for a time. When she gave her resignation at the store, she recommended me to the boss, and he came to our place one day to see if I cold start working a few days later. I was happy to start work there, and stayed with it until I married John Paul Monrad on the 22nd of November in 1935. In 1936, on the 5th of November our first child was born, and we named her Winnifred Joan.

      I had met him at the Mezona dances, and we went together quite a while. My mother said he seemed to have better manners than a lot of our Mormon boys I had been with, and he was always kind and courteous to me. However, I didn’t know that he had a bad gambling background, and was doing it sometimes at night when he came home late and said he had been working late. One night when Joan had had a bad time with colic, I went down to his shop to get him, and found no one there. Much later, when he came in, I confronted him with the deception, and he left. I got a divorce, and later a temple cancellation. In the meantime, I had had our second child, another daughter we named Marian Kathleen, born on the 26th of February 1936. I sold my house that we had helped build and lived in from our marriage, and bought the house next door to my mother, so that she could tend my two babies while I went to work. This house I bought from the old former neighbor Sister Naegle, who had divided her lot to sell my mother the other half years before, and was now living with a relative a few blocks away.

      A few years before this, I had met Clinton Burnham, who came down to Mesa from Colorado for the winters, staying with his parents who had moved there to be near the temple when it had opened several years before. The rest of the year he ran the family farm in Colorado. We started dating, and I found him to be as kind and good to my little girls as any father could be, and we decided to be married. This event took place on the 18th of September 1940, in the Arizona Temple, and we moved to Colorado. What I got from the sale of my place in Mesa, I used to help update our Colorado house, which he bought from his parents. The electricity had only been recently taken to Redmesa where we lived, and I helped getting a pump, and well water pumped into the house and water piped up to the top of Clinton’s garden back of our house. We also put up insulation inside the house to help make it warmer in winter, and later we put a furnace in the basement to have more even heat in the house. There was a government run carpentry shop in Redmesa, and I went over there and they helped me build some cupboards for the kitchen, as there was only a very small cupboard for all kitchen supplies.

      A couple or so years before we were married, Clinton had bought 160 acres of land NW of our place, some was high ground for dry farming, and some lower land where the LaPlata river ran through it. In the spring when the snow was melting in the LaPlata Mountains there was a lot of water in this river, but after this floodwater was gone, there was only a little seep water. However, later in the summer when the water was lower, the children could often have a good little swim in some of the deeper places, after they finished their work. He did some farming there, but actually we received more from leasing the land for oil rights during the time we were there and after we moved, than we did from the crops he raised there. Clinton planted fall wheat on the land on the top part north of the river a few times, but it never produced much grain. There was some land along the river bottom where he raised good garden crops, which we used and he sold, and he also raised some grain there.

      One day when Clinton, Louis and Danny were working at this land, Clinton sent Danny to the pickup to get some water for them to drink. Danny got it and said to his dad that he had seen a big old bull snake along the way that buzzed at him. They went back to the place where he had seen the snake, and it was a rattlesnake, which they disposed of. Danny was only six or less at the time.

      Another day Dawna was helping some of the other children in putting rocks in the trailer to haul off the garden area. While putting a large rock on, someone threw another rock onto the trailer, and it hit her on the hand. It really hurt her, and they decided there was a fracture, so took her to Durango to a doctor and got it set right.

      Clinton had had a milk house built, and had also bought a combine to help in his farming
      He also did some combining for others, a financial help. It kept us all busy, along with his ploughing, preparing the soil and planting crops, irrigating, harvesting, etc. each in its own time. We had bought a few acres of land from his aunt, that adjoined our home place, that she had gotten when they first bought the land and she had helped pay on it. She had sold several lots along the highway, where houses had been built, but north of those was a piece that was a little hill, quite rough and un-cleared, which we bought. One evening we had a family picnic gathering the brush that Clinton had dug up and piled it up to put on a bonfire where we roasted wieners and marshmallows. He wanted to get some pasture started growing there.

      During the time we lived in Redmesa, I was the Primary president two different times, and also taught in the different classes most of the time. I was a counselor in MIA, and also taught each of the Mutual classes from time to time. I also was Clinton’s missionary companion for several years. There was always plenty of church work to keep a person busy, and out of mischief.

      Later, after we moved to Sierra Vista, I was the Relief Society President for a time, and Clinton and I were over the genealogy class, teaching and going with members to St David to the Family History library to help them get started in research and filling out papers necessary for temple work to be done, etc. Then, after moving back to Mesa, to a house on 5th Ave, we also worked in family history and as extractors at the Family History center, taking names out of old records and putting on cards ready for the temple work to be done, and also we were called to be temple workers. The last eight years before I moved out of town to live by Jim and his family, after Clinton died, I was the gospel doctrine class teacher, and enjoyed that very much.

      Clinton was a stake missionary for many years in Colorado, and for part of one of these missions and two more full missions before we left Colorado and moved to Washington, I was called to be his companion in the work. We made visits regularly to people on the Mesa and also up Cherry Creek and out on the Dry Side, and some of the people enjoyed the visits, but were not really interested in the gospel. Some of the old timers had been warned against it by their parents! One of these was Mr. Ent, who enjoyed our visits, as did his wife. After he died, his wife did join the church, after we had left Redmesa.

      One day while in Durango, we met John Whitson and his wife, who lived down at Barker Dome, in Mew Mexico west of LaPlata. In talking to them about our missionary work, Clinton mentioned we were having a hard time finding people who were interested in the gospel. Sister Whitson’s husband was not a member. She said to us “Why don’t you come and visit us, we don’t even have Ward Teachers to come to us.” We told them we would go to their place and hold a meeting on a certain evening. This was really a little out of our territory, but we decided to visit them at least once, and then talk to our Mission President about it. Our Mission President was Luician Mecham. We went on the appointed time, and there was a house full of people they’re waiting for us. There was a lot of interest shown by the people, except one, and the Spirit of the Lord was surely there and the people were touched. We made another appointment to go back, which we did. The lady who opposed spoke some things against our belief in Apostles and Prophets in the Church etc., and other non-members there spoke up, defending our beliefs. After holding two or three meetings at Barker Dome, Clinton was talking to a member of our ward at Redmesa about it. He told him he had been out to Barkier Dome Ward Teaching, and that there was quite a tough bunch of people there. Clinton told him that we had held meetings there and that the Spirit of the Lord was in the meetings.

      At our next missionary conference in giving his testimony, Clinton told of our experience at Barker Dome, and our success there. When the mission president gave his talk, and after the meeting, he didn’t say anything about our going or that we should not go there because of it being out of our territory, so we kept going there. By the time we had finished giving the lessons there, Mr. Whitson was baptized, two boys of a part member family, and the father and mother of another family and two of their children were baptized. Another of the daughters of this couple wanted to be baptized, but was married, and her husband didn’t want her to be baptized then. She hoped he would change in time. It was a wonderful missionary experience to climax our work in Redmesa. Soon after this in 1955 we moved to the state of Washington.

      There were times when members of the Redmesa Ward were called on to help make a coffin for a member who had died. There were several carpenters in the Ward who could help make the box. One time I pleated white cloth around the inside of a coffin and lined it, for an elderly lady. Another time I was asked to make a new set of clothes for a small child who had been run over.

      I became interested in casting plaster, and learned how to make my own moulds to make special pieces. The children also enjoyed painting the pieces and making toys or gift items. One of the special pieces LaVerne said her friend particularly admired, was molded in one piece with a round frame with a young old fashioned couple attached to the frame but also spaces between the couple and the frame. This hobby has provided interesting activities over quite a few years of time. Later, after we moved to Mesa, while living on South Mesa Drive, there was a ceramic shop that opened up across the street a little south of us. I enjoyed going there, and painted several vases and ornaments, and had them fired.

      We decided to turn attic space into a large bedroom for the girls to share. We made a stairway up to the attic in space that had been used as storage space, and Ira came up over a weekend and helped Clinton cut a hole in our roof and put framework up for a wall and dormer window in it, and a roof over it. It was quite a job, but we then were able to start putting flooring down and walls up. We didn’t get it finished the way we wanted it before we moved from the place, but the children did have some use out of it before we left. After I gave up the P.O. and the store, Joan was able to have the store part for her bedroom, and we used the smaller post office area for a playroom for the other children. It was nice to have a place for their toys etc where everything could be there together.

      A year or two before we left Colorado, we wanted to visit the Mesa Verde National Park, and see the ancient cliff dwellings that had been inhabited by the ancient Nephites or Lamanites, many hundred years before. Just as we drove into our parking space, the rear end of our pickup locked up, and Clinton couldn’t move it. Luckily, he had gotten into the space before it quit. So while the family walked around, visiting several cliff dwellings, he was busy taking the rear end apart to find the problem. He would have to get some parts from Durango to fix it, taking the damaged gears along to get replaced. He called Ferrin Harris to come and get us and take us home that night, and it was quite late when we got back. The next morning he took the damaged parts and hitch-hiked to Durango to get the necessary replacements, then hitch-hiked to Mesa Verde to install them in the pickup, getting there in the early afternoon. He put the parts in the pickup, but made a mistake in putting the rear end back, and when he started to drive, and put the car in the forward gears, the outfit went backward: when he put it in reverse, it went forward. By this time it was getting dark, and on a Saturday night. He got in the cab of the pickup to sleep over night and wait until daylight, and the inspiration to know what do came to him. Before going to sleep, he remembered something that had happened to Otto Behrman years before, when he had put the rear end in up side down, and the gears were reversed. After a night’s sleep and daylight came, he took the rear end apart again, and put it together right and went on home, getting there about mid afternoon. It rained on him almost all the way home. He decided we would have to go there again another time. Later when Louis graduated from the grade school, they had his graduation at Mesa Verde National Park, and we went there to that.

      A On the 2nd of September 1941, we had a new little baby come to live with us, a little boy this time, and we named him Louis Pratt, after his dad and mother. Since Lewis Clinton didn’t like the spelling of his name, we changed our son’s name to be spelled Louis. He wasn’t gaining weight very well the first few months, and Effie came to visit near the end of the year, and suggested we go back to Mesa with her and see if Louis might start growing better in the nice winter climate, where he could be outdoors more. I took him and the two older girls for a couple or so months, and he did start putting on a little more weight. By the time he was two or three years old, he loved to go out with his dad to work outdoors, tending the animals or riding on the tractor, or whatever was being

      When the 7th of February of 1943 rolled around, little LaVerne came into the family. She was born at home too, but this time when we called the Doctor to come, he remembered how long it had taken for Louis to make his arrival, and didn’t hurry. Nurse Sister Behrman had LaVerne already introduced to this world and things were well under control when Dr. Childress arrived.

      During the time of the 2nd World War, Sister Ione Harris, one of the local school teachers and an active political party member, was asked to recommend someone to be the new postmaster in Redmesa, as the present one was soon to retire She gave them my name, and I was asked to take over. I accepted, and we quickly turned our front porch into two rooms, one for the Post Office, and the other to be a small local country store. This was something I could do at home in a few hours a day, and help with a little cash income.

      This was fine for a couple of years, but then I was soon to add another member to our family, and felt like I needed to be free to spend full time with our family. The postmaster in Denver, who was over this area, had recently sent me word that they were soon going to install a permanent postmaster for Redmesa, and would be glad to install me in that position if I would accept the job. I declined, though I had enjoyed doing it and having the income, I felt like I needed to be free 24 hours a day for the next little while. During this time while I had the Post Office to take care of, when I needed help or needed to go to town or be away a few hours, I took Louis to Sister Behrman’s and she tended him while I was away. She once told me that she had been very surprised and pleased when it came time to feed him a meal, he sat up at the table and folded his arms and waited for a blessing before he touched the food, and he was only two years old then.

      Dawna Rose made her entrance into the family on the 30th of May 1945, another little bundle of joy. She later showed great talent in art and painting, as well as many other areas of endeavor.

      Our next addition to the family came on the 23rd of September 1947, when Daniel Clinton made his entrance. The others had been born at home in Redmesa, with a wonderful nurse, Sister Nettie Behrman as the nurse for the first few days. It was getting harder to get a doctor to come to the house, and for Danny I went to the hospital in Durango. We had a real good doctor there, Dr. Mason, who helped the next two children into the world too.

      The next one happened to be Linda, who was born the 11th of October 1949. On the way home from the hospital with her, dad stopped to pick up a few pine nuts which were falling on the ground by then.

      Carol came on the 12th of February 1952, the last one born in Durango, as we had moved to Washington a few months before Shirley was born on the 21st of November in 1955, in Bellingham, Whatcom Co. Washington. We lived in the country a few miles out of Bellingham, where we went to our church meetings. She was born with a heart murmur that there was no cure for in those days. They didn’t operate on hearts then. The doctor also found in a day or two that she had another problem, the tube from her mouth to the stomach was connected into the lung, and another tube came out from the lung a little lower, that went to the stomach, so she was not able to get food into the stomach where it needed to be. They had to take her to Seattle to perform an operation to correct the tube situation, and join it together properly. Clinton called our Bishop to see if he would help give the baby a name and a blessing before he took her to Seattle, and the bishop not only went to the hospital to help give the blessing, but also took Clinton and the baby with a nurse from the hospital that accompanied her, to the hospital in Seattle, just to be there and help where he could. They said she went through the operation successfully and was awake a little, but the heart situation was severe, and she only lived until a little after midnight on the 25th. We had the funeral a few days later and she was buried in the Lyndon cemetery.

      The final addition to our family came exactly four years later than Shirley, back in Mesa where the first two had been born. James David entered our lives on November the 21st, 1959, in the hospital on North Mesa Drive a little north of University. His doctor was Dr.Leavitt, and was still practicing when Jim and Stephanie were married, and delivered their firsts two or three babies.

      Of course by this time, Joan was already married and had three children of her own. She had married Si Boughan 22 Dec 1954, when we lived in Colorado, and had suggested that where they were living in Washington, there were farms where all the school children of the area could work picking beans or strawberries etc. during the summer months, helping earn money for school or clothing expenses. Dad was ready to try out a new location, and we sold our stock and machinery, and moved to Washington, arriving at Joan and Si’s place on the 4th of July. We stayed with them for a short time while we looked for a place to buy, and found one a few miles from where they lived, that was in a beautiful area, with hilly terrain and a little stream running through our land. Dad had hoped to do a little farming, but the land would have needed quite a lot of work done on it to get much ready to farm, probably a small garden would have been possible. We bought the land from Dick Westergreen and his wife, some very good neighbors who paid Dawna to baby sit their child sometimes so she could help her husband while he did some of the land preparation they needed to continue the building and landscaping of their own place, which they were building into a beautiful home and grounds. The house we bought had been an old country school building, and converted to a two-story house with bedrooms upstairs.

      Dad got some temporary work at a cannery, and I took the children with me and we went out picking strawberries, which were in abundance. The older children enjoyed the chance of earning summer money and did pretty well, but Carol was only about 3 ½ years old, and spent most of her time playing around, so we made the rule that she must pick at least one container of strawberries before eating lunch. There was a number of school girls picking nearby, and when I would encourage Carol to get her bucket filled so she could eat, they would often go and help her fill it so she could eat her lunch.

      After the strawberry season was over, we picked green beans for a short time. I worked at the cannery for a while, starting in the afternoon after the beans were brought from the fields to the cannery, and worked as late into the night as it took to put them in cans. I remember driving home alone in the middle of the night on those dark, country roads.

      1955. Carol wasn’t old enough to go to school, but Linda started that year with the older children, in the Everson-Nooksack School, a few miles away. They rode the bus to school each day. There was a larger stream of water than the one that ran through our land, a little south of our place, and Louis sometimes went down there fishing, and several times caught a nice fish.

      Salmon was quite plentiful there. We went to several wonderful salmon dinners, one put on by our Ward, and one by the place where Clinton worked. Clinton took Louis and LaVerne to MIA each week and taught a class. LaVerne was secretary, at least of her class.

      Soon after we got to Bellingham, Sister Safson, who was the RS president, asked for me to be one of her counselors. I enjoyed working with her. Her husband was a non-member, but all her children were active, and her husband did finally join the church later. One of her sons went to BYU for his college, and met and married one of Smith Decker’s daughters, who lived near the temple in Mesa. However, there were many Ward members who were married to non-members simply because there were not many members living in the area.

      We had several picnics and outings, such as going to Whatcom Park or up to (Sumas?), the little town on the border between the US and Canada. We lived only about seven miles from the Canadian Border. We also went across the border into Canada at ( ), to the ocean.

      During the winter my mother had a serious illness, and Clinton’s mother was getting old, and we felt like we would like to be nearer the family. We decided to sell out there and move back to Mesa. Ira Kempton found a good four bedroom house at 454 South Mesa Drive we could buy on good terms, and he also found a job for Clinton working for a wall-board manufacturing company in Phoenix. Dick Westergreen told us he would like to get the place back from us if we moved, so in the latter part of August we packed up and started the long journey back. When we got to Enterprise, Utah, where Clinton’s relatives lived, we had a problem with the truck, and had to leave the truck there and go on home in the car, to get the children to Mesa in time for the starting of school in early September. Ira had arranged for Clinton to get a job at a gypsum plant in Phoenix, and he needed to start in early September too. A week later Ira went to Enterprise and got the truck fixed, and brought it down to Mesa for us. He and Effie were always ready and willing to help others. He had also arranged for a house for us to move into, and buy, from a friend of his at work. This house turned out to be very comfortable for our family, and we got it on very good terms. Ira made the statement that he knew that Clinton paid his tithing, or he wouldn’t have gotten such a good deal on the place. Ira’s son had recently gotten married, and we let him and his wife live in it that summer while we were in Washington, and by the time we got to Mesa they had a place to live somewhere else.

      Before we had been there very long, Effie asked me if I could go to her place in the afternoon after school, to be with her children who would get home before she and Ira could get home from Williams Air Force Base, where Ira worked in the mechanics department, and she taught school. As I remember it, I went Monday morning and put out their washing, and then in the afternoon would be there to supervise children and also fold washing and get it put away, or iron the clothes from the day before, etc. She paid me enough for doing this that I was able to make quite a few extra payments on our house.

      When summer rolled around, for the next several years, Effie invited our family to come to her place one afternoon a week and work on projects, artistic, musical, or other. Near the end of summer, before school started, we would have a big entertainment, displaying the items we had made and having our band perform, along with other talents performed. There would
    Person ID I11135  Hougham
    Last Modified 30 Aug 2017 

    Father Pratt, Nephi
              b. 7 Dec 1879, Springlake, Utah, Ut Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 5 Jun 1948, Washington, Washington, Ut Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 68 years) 
    Mother Hurley, Marian Charlotte
              b. 18 Apr 1879, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 27 Feb 1961, Mesa, Maricopa, Az Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 81 years) 
    Married 8 Oct 1908  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Ut Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F715  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Burnham, Lewis Clinton
              b. 20 Jan 1912, Mancos, Montezuma, Colo Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 16 Mar 1996, Mesa, Maricopa, Az Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Married 18 Sep 1940  Mesa, Maricopa, Ariz Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. Living
    +2. Living
    +3. Living
    +4. Living
    +5. Living
    +6. Living
     7. Burnham, Shirley
              b. 21 Nov 1955, Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 25 Nov 1955, Seattle, King, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
    +8. Living
    Family ID F3854  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Monrad, John Paul
              b. 29 Mar 1908 
    Married 22 Nov 1935  Mesa, Maricopa, Ariz Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Divorced Yes, date unknown 
    +1. Living
     2. Monrad, Marian Kathleen
              b. 26 Feb 1938, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, Usa Find all individuals with events at this location
              d. 11 Oct 1991, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, Usa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 53 years)
    Family ID F3855  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 22 Nov 1935 - Mesa, Maricopa, Ariz Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 18 Sep 1940 - Mesa, Maricopa, Ariz Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth