d'Averanches, Simon

Male - 1214 (1203/4?)


 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name d'Averanches, Simon 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1214 (1203/4?) 
    Notes 
    • Simon succeded his father William and confirmed the grants of his father and of Matilda Maud his grandmother to the monks of St Andrews in 1190. He was in account with the exchequer touching certain ships going to the holy land. In 1194 paid £4 15 Shillings towards the KIngs ransom.. He had a dispute with Baldwin Count de Guisness respecting Newington 10 Feb 1201

      Recorded in Hasted as Lieutenant of Dover Castle in the reign of William Rufus 1087 - 1100 (this is probably a mis posting, this Simon was Lieutenant 1189 - 1199)


      According to a plaque in Dover Castle a Simon Avranches was Leiutenand and Deputy Constable from 1100 to 1135

      SAINT ANTHONY'S CHURCH
      ALKHAM

      In AD 601 Pope Gregory instructed the Christian Missionaries to use the
      pagan temples in England for Christian worship. It was sometime around
      that date that Alkham received its name, "Ealh ham", meaning "Settlement
      by a heathen temple". Soon after the arrival of Christianity the
      temple would have been replaced with a wooden or stone church. The
      doomsday Survey of 1086 indicates that a church existed in Alkham and a
      list of Folkestone's churches in 1093 definitely includes that of
      "Ealham". Traces of this early church have been identified in the
      fabric of the present church.
      In these early years churches were considered to be the property of the
      family which founded them. In Alkham's case it was the Lords of the
      Hundred of Folkestone. In 1095 this was Nigel de Muneville, who
      bestowed Alkham Church and its tithings on the Benedictine Order of
      monks at Lonley, near Le Mans, Normandy. The Priory of Folkestone,
      belonging to the same Order, served Alkham Church and a Vatican
      Register of 1204 confirmed that the Priory still possessed Alkham and
      received its tithings. However, the presentation was in the hands of
      Simon de Averanche, Lord of Folkestone, being grandson of Nigel de
      Muneville.
      Simon de Averanche presented the first known Rector to the Living of
      Alkham - Herbert Simon's clerk, and probably his son. He was presented
      during King John's reign, which commenced in 1195, and before Simon's
      death in 1203/4. The tomb slab of Bethersden marble, at present lying
      in the North Chapel, is attributed to Herbert. It bears a floriated
      cross (now mutilated) and clearly incised thirteenth century Latin
      inscription which reads, in translation, "Here lieth Herbert, offspring
      of Simon, a man open-hearted, assured of good things (to come), fluent
      in the work of faith". It is thought to date shortly before 23rd
      February 1241, when Cecilia, Simon de Averanche's widow, presented the
      next Rector, Ralph de Marcy, to the Living. It may well be the oldest
      tomb slab in Kent.
      The Lordship of Folkestone passed from the Averanche family, by
      marriage, to Hamo de Crevecoeur. Towards the end of his life he endowed
      land in Alcham and the patronage of the Church of "Alcham and of Capella
      or Mauregce (Capel le Ferne)" to the Praemonstratensian Order of monks
      at St Radegund's Abbey, "in pure and perpetual Free Alms for the
      Spiritual welfare of himself, his wife, his ancestors and his
      successors". However, a descendant of the family, Juliana, claimed the
      right of patronage against the Abbot, and the case was brought to Court.
      The matter was settled by the Abbot paying Juliana 80 marks and she
      renounced her right to the patronage of the Church of "Antoninus,
      Martyr, of Alcham and the Capella of the Blessed Mary the Virgin of
      Mauregge appertaining to the same church". St Radegund's Abbey
      continued to exercise its rights until the dissolution of the
      monasteries in 1536.
      St Radegund's Abbey at Bradsole, built on the hilltop just over a mile
      Southeast of Alkham, would have served Alkham Church daily and the
      footpath linking the Abbey with Alkham is still known to this
      day as "The Priest's Walk

      St Antoninus, or Anthony, martyr, is not the better known St Anthony of
      Egypt, but of Pamiers. He was martyred at Apamea in Syria in the second
      century, his feast being the 2nd of September.

      Is this reference about this Simon?
      Ralph de Curva Spina, or Crookthorne, as his name was englished, resided at Comford park, in the neighbouring parish of Birling, which manor he likewise possessed; he bore for his arms, in imitation of Simon de Abrinces, or Averenches, of whom, as his chief lord, he held several estates, Azure, five chevrons or, a label of five points gules. (fn. 3) His descendants continued owners of Burham till the reign of king Henry II. when they were succeeded by the family of Magminot; one of whom, Walkeline de Magminot, dying without issue, his sister Alice carried this and other large possessions in this county to her husband, Geof fry de Say; and his descendant, Geossry de Say, in the 8th year of king Edward III. obtained a view of frank pledge and other liberties within all his demesne lands of this manor; and having been frequently summoned to parliament among the peers of this realm, he died in the 33d year of king Edward III. holding this manor in capite, and by the service of repairing a part of Rochester bridge and a certain house in Dover castle.

      From: 'Parishes: Burham', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 4 (1798), pp. 409-416. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53819&strquery=averenches. Date accessed: 30 November 2007.

      William de Auberville, senior, on his foundation of the priory of West Langdon, in 1192, gave to it this church of St. Mary of Ledene, in pure and perpetual alms, which was confirmed by Simon de Albrincis, (fn. 1) and by Sir Simon de Cryoll, great-grandson of the former. After which, archbishop Walter granted licence for the canons of the priory to serve in it themselves, which prevented a vicarage being endowed in it; and the prior and canons thenceforward appropriated the whole profits of this church to themselves. In which state it continued till the dissolution of the priory, which happened anno 27 Henry VIII. when it was suppressed, as not having annual revenues of the amount of the clear value of two hundred pounds, and was given, with all its lands and possessions, to the king, who in his 29th year, granted it, among other possessions of the priory, in exchange to the archbishop. In which state it continues at this time, his grace the archbishop being now entitled to the rectory of this church, with the manor of Liddon appurtenant to it.

      From: 'Parishes: Liddon', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 127-132. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63468&strquery=albrincis. Date accessed: 03 December 2007.
    Person ID I6197  Hougham
    Last Modified 6 Dec 2007 

    Father d'Averanches, William Lord of Folkestone
              d. 1190 
    Family ID F35  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family de Criol, Cecilia 
    Children 
    +1. d'Averanches, William
              d. Bef 1230
     2. d'Averanches, Geoffrey
     3. d'Averanches, Simon
     4. d'Averanches, Roger
     5. d'Averanches, Herbert
    Family ID F2444  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Histories
    Dover Castle and the d' Avranches
    Dover Castle and the d' Avranches
    Several d' Avranches (forerunners of the Houghams) held key appointments at Dover Castle.