Baldock, Charlotte

Female 1835 -


 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Baldock, Charlotte 
    Born 1835  Ticehurst Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Notes 
    • 6th Jun 1841CensusAt Three Legged Cross in the Parish of Ticehurst, Sussex; Charlotte Baldock, F, [Daughter], age 6, born Sussex

      30th Mar 1851CensusAt Ticehurst Lunatic Asylum in the Parish of Ticehurst, Sussex; Charlotte Baldock, F, Servant, single, age 16, born Ticehurst, Sussex, occupation: housemaid

      Ticehurst House Hospital was opened as a private lunatic asylum at Ticehurst, East
      Sussex, in 1792. The founder was Samuel Newington (1739-1811), who was already
      in practice at Ticehurst as a surgeon and apothecary. The asylum remained in the
      ownership of his descendants until recent times, and they continued to serve as its
      medical superintendents until the death of Herbert Francis Hayes Newington (1847-
      1917).
      At first the hospital admitted a number of pauper patients as well as its more
      numerous private clients. However no pauper patients were admitted after 1838, and
      the clientèle became increasingly upper class as the century progressed. Already in
      the 1820s a prospectus was issued with impressive illustrations of the asylum and its
      grounds, which included a pagoda, a gothic summer house and an aviary for gold and
      silver pheasants. Later, in 1882, a newspaper report described the Ticehurst
      establishment as ducal, with horses and carriages, valets and liveried servants,
      hothouses, greenhouses, and its own pack of harriers. In keeping with this rise in
      social status, patients were increasingly drawn not only from Sussex, Kent, and the
      Home Counties, but from the whole of Great Britain and even from overseas.
      In addition to Ticehurst House itself (known in the early years of the Hospital as The
      Establishment), the Newington family acquired a number of other properties in the
      vicinity for the accommodation of patients and staff. By 1827 the Hospital consisted
      of Ticehurst House itself, and two nearby houses, The Vineyard and The Highlands,
      set in pleasure grounds amounting to over forty acres. The acquisition of Brick Kiln
      Farm and other properties brought the total land holding to over three hundred acres
      by 1900.
      Following the death of Herbert Francis Hayes Newington, the ownership and
      management structure of the Hospital was formalised by the registration of 'The
      Doctors Newington' in 1918 as a private unlimited company. The share capital of the
      company was divided equally between four trusts representing the various branches of
      the family: the Hayes Newington Family Trust Ltd; the Alexander Newington Trust
      Ltd; the Samuel Newington Family Trust Ltd; and the Herbert Newington Trust Ltd.
      The Hospital was run by a Board of Directors on which each of the Trusts was
      represented. Day to day management was the responsibility of two employees, the
      Secretary and, with respect to patient care, the Medical Superintendent. The dominant
      figure, however, until at least the 1950s, was the Chairman of the Board, Herbert
      Archer Hayes Newington.
      In 1918 when 'The Doctors Newington' was registered as a company, its purposes
      were stated to be not only the management of the asylum, but also farming. The estate continued to be extensive until 1951, when it consisted of 311 acres. However a
      series of sales in the decade which followed, which included the disposal of Brick
      Kiln Farm, The Gables, Quarry Villa, and a substantial part of the land of Broomden
      Farm, brought a large reduction in the land holding, and the return of the Hospital to
      its original single function of psychiatric patient care.
      The company was re-incorporated in 1967 as 'Ticehurst House Private Clinic Ltd.'. It
      became part of Nestor Nursing Homes Ltd. in 1974.
      The Records of the Hospital
    Person ID I19571  Hougham
    Last Modified 18 Nov 2005 

    Father Baldock, James
              b. 1808, Ticehurst Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother Harriet
              b. 1811, Ticehurst Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 1831 
    Family ID F7059  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 1835 - Ticehurst Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth